Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir Enables XDG Shell By Default, Dropping Mir EGL For Ubuntu 18.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mir Enables XDG Shell By Default, Dropping Mir EGL For Ubuntu 18.04

    Phoronix: Mir Enables XDG Shell By Default, Dropping Mir EGL For Ubuntu 18.04

    There is just one month to go until the official debut of the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" release and Canonical's Mir team is busy as ever on the home stretch of final changes for this next release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...fault-And-More

  • #2
    I hope you eventually drop the entire Mir protocol soon.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I hope you eventually drop the entire Mir protocol soon.
      Why though, it's a piece of technology worth using. This does not "waste" time anybody but their own. There is no reason abandon Mir just because you don't see any use cases.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sethox View Post

        Why though, it's a piece of technology worth using. This does not "waste" time anybody but their own. There is no reason abandon Mir just because you don't see any use cases.
        I'm not talking about Mir as in the compositor. I'm talking about the in-house Mir protocol (Mir is adopting the Wayland protocol now).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

          I'm not talking about Mir as in the compositor. I'm talking about the in-house Mir protocol (Mir is adopting the Wayland protocol now).
          I think that is the already stated plan. Shit takes time though.

          Comment


          • #6
            I hope Canonical stops doing closed-upstream developments. Where could wayland be today if they were improving things from the very beginning?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              I hope Canonical stops doing closed-upstream developments. Where could wayland be today if they were improving things from the very beginning?
              Yeah, on the one hand, Canonical seems to recognize the needs of it's users and provide polished solutions. On the other hand they do a terrible job at building communites around their awesome solutions.

              Back when widescreen monitors became ubiquitous, GNOME refused to fix their 10yro. vertical panel bug. Ubuntu rolled up their sleeves and gave us Unity. To this day it's the best Linux graphical shell for any 16:9 monitor, especially 720p netbooks. Fast forward to Wayland today. How many people here use global hotkeys, or screen capture/recording? These are all core needs of desktop users that Wayland devs ignored that Mir/Unity 8 had working in alpha.
              Last edited by slacka; 03-10-2018, 01:49 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I hope you eventually drop the entire Mir protocol soon.
                Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I'm not talking about Mir as in the compositor. I'm talking about the in-house Mir protocol (Mir is adopting the Wayland protocol now).
                "Once Mir’s support for Wayland clients is on a par with the support for 'native' Mir clients [Canonical] will likely phase out support for the latter." But removing support too quickly is problematic. For example, removing support for Mir EGL "means more work for UBports to get Unity8 working on the 18.04LTS desktop."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by slacka View Post

                  ....Fast forward to Wayland today. How many people here use global hotkeys, or screen capture/recording? These are all core needs of desktop users that Wayland devs ignored that Mir/Unity 8 had working in alpha.
                  They haven't ignored them, they just believe they don't belong in the display server. And because of the massive security boost Wayland has over X, there's some teething issues with stuff like those things (which are difficult but not insurmountable problems).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    They haven't ignored them, they just believe they don't belong in the display server. And because of the massive security boost Wayland has over X, there's some teething issues with stuff like those things (which are difficult but not insurmountable problems).
                    ...and are working on them in other parts of the stack... e.g the efforts around Pipewire for screen recording and remoting.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X