Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANV Enables UBO Pushing For Another Extra Bit Of Performance

Phoronix: ANV Enables UBO Pushing For Another Extra Bit Of Performance

With just seven lines of new code, Intel's ANV Vulkan driver is a few percent faster in some Linux games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i tested this this in the instancing vulkan demo and it went from 67 to 70 fps
    i remember that some time ago that demo ran at 60 fps so nice job with the driver

Comment

Can anyone explain what the difference between push and pull constants is? Is it about how the upload to GPU memory is triggered?

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, with pull constants, if you need access to a constant, you just issue a load instruction in the shader (i.e. you pull the constant to GPR) using a buffer id + offset, which will load it from memory (or caches, hopefully).
        With push constants, some fairy instead pushes the constants already to GPRs before the shader is actually executing on the EU.
        I don't really know though how exactly this is done (must be done in thread setup or something) or why it's faster. (There are of course obvious limitations, the biggest one that register space is limited so you can't push a lot of constants, large indirectly addressed arrays are right out.)

Comment

That makes sense, thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
          X