Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Stages More Graphics DRM Changes For Linux 4.16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Stages More Graphics DRM Changes For Linux 4.16

    Phoronix: Intel Stages More Graphics DRM Changes For Linux 4.16

    Last week Intel submitted their first batch of i915 DRM driver changes to DRM-Next that in turn is slated for Linux 4.16. Today they sent in their second round of feature updates...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...M-Linux-4.16-2

  • #2
    Is GVT-g really so interesting? I did read is a pure software implementation...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Is GVT-g really so interesting? I did read is a pure software implementation...
      You're probably thinking of Virgil (which is also interesting).

      Intel GVT-g is described as "a full GPU virtualization approach with mediated pass-through." It offers about 80% to 90% of bare metal performance.

      A flier that gives a nice overview can be found here. And an old demo video can be found here.

      I'll just add that iGVT-g comes in two flavors: KVMGT and XenGT. Last I heard, XenGT requires 4th gen (Haswell) or newer; and KVMGT requires 5th gen (Broadwell) or newer. But what is supported may be a moving target.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

        You're probably thinking of Virgil (which is also interesting).

        Intel GVT-g is described as "a full GPU virtualization approach with mediated pass-through." It offers about 80% to 90% of bare metal performance.

        A flier that gives a nice overview can be found here. And an old demo video can be found here.

        I'll just add that iGVT-g comes in two flavors: KVMGT and XenGT. Last I heard, XenGT requires 4th gen (Haswell) or newer; and KVMGT requires 5th gen (Broadwell) or newer. But what is supported may be a moving target.
        I don'tfind Virgil SO INTERESTING: It only gives OpenGL support. What about Vulkan, DirectX up to 12, Metal and whatever other obscure graphics API on whatever current or future OS?

        Wine developers are struggling to have DirectX 11 support and there's a long way to support DirectX12.

        In an ideal world, Wine developers would have full DirectX 1 to 12+ implementation and that software be used in a Virgil-like project: Butut that's very far from reality!

        Are you really sure of that about iGVT-g? That's not what I understand from the following sources (an ATI Xorg developer and a post from an Intel engineer at the Xen mailing list):

        Originally posted by agd5f;""
        FWIW, GVT is a pure software implementation; the drivers in the VMs just proxy to the driver on the physical GPU. If you want something like that, you can use a paravirtualized solution like virgil.
        https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...143#post994143

        agd5f Do you have any further opinion about this?

        Originally posted by Jike Song;"https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-11/msg02257.html"
        One clarification for rest discussion, is that we're talking about GVT-g vGPU (here which) is a pure software GPU virtualization technique. GVT-d (note some use in the text)refers to passing through the whole GPU or a specific VF. GVT-d already falls into existing VFIO APIs nicely (though some on-going effort to remove Intel specific platform stickness from gfx driver). :-)
        Some extra info related to Xen (Nvidia appears there too, yes...): http://xapi-project.github.io/featur...evolution.html

        What's the difference between KVMGT and XenGT other than using KVM or Xen?

        Are there anyone working at Intel that could clarify this?
        Last edited by timofonic; 12-13-2017, 07:56 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Are you really sure of that about iGVT-g?
          I am sure that Intel describes GVT-g as "a full GPU virtualization approach with mediated pass-through support for IntelĀ® Processor Graphics." See the first sentence on page 2 of this publication from Intel.

          And yes, based on my experience (gained several months ago), GVT-g offers about 80% to 90% of bare metal performance.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

            I am sure that Intel describes GVT-g as "a full GPU virtualization approach with mediated pass-through support for IntelĀ® Processor Graphics." See the first sentence on page 2 of this publication from Intel.

            And yes, based on my experience (gained several months ago), GVT-g offers about 80% to 90% of bare metal performance.
            That's not what many developers here in this forum and even Intel people itself said. I can look at the sources if you want.

            About the performance, I don't know. But Intel developers said it's software-based.. I don't believe marketing mumbo-jumbo :P

            Comment

            Working...
            X