Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Wants You To Help Test The i965 Mesa Shader Cache, Not Yet Enabled By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Wants You To Help Test The i965 Mesa Shader Cache, Not Yet Enabled By Default

Phoronix: Intel Wants You To Help Test The i965 Mesa Shader Cache, Not Yet Enabled By Default

Back in early November Intel finally landed its shader cache support for allowing GLSL shaders to be cached on-disk similar to the RadeonSI shader caching that has been present since earlier in the year. But this functionality isn't yet enabled by default as it still needs more testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still don't get why they use double negatives for these environment variables surely ENABLE=1 makes more sense than DISABLE=0

Comment

I don't remember, is this feature present in Mesa 17.3 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I still don't get why they use double negatives for these environment variables surely ENABLE=1 makes more sense than DISABLE=0
        i think it is because for radeonsi it is enabled by default and they wanted to use the same variable

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Within a few weeks/months the cache will be enabled by default, and ENABLE=1 would become a no-op whereas DISABLE=1 will become the only meaningful setting. In the long term, that makes more sense.
          Last edited by FLHerne; 06 December 2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post

Within a few weeks/months the cache will be enabled by default, and ENABLE=1 would become a no-op whereas DISABLE=1 will become the only meaningful setting. In the long term, that makes more sense.
            in that case if now ENABLE=1 would be used than ENABLE=0 for the future would make even more sense than DISABLE=1. Besides linguistically speaking word with positive meaning such as ENABLE would always sound better then its negative counterpart.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post

in that case if now ENABLE=1 would be used than ENABLE=0 for the future would make even more sense than DISABLE=1. Besides linguistically speaking word with positive meaning such as ENABLE would always sound better then its negative counterpart.
              Setting ENABLE=0 to turn off a feature would just be weird.

DISABLE=1 is much more obvious IMO.

Comment

I guess the trick would be to not use ENABLE and DISABLE, but simply I965_SHADER_CACHE=0/1 or OFF/ON or some other binary option

Comment

Working...
                X