Windows 10 vs. Linux - Intel UHD Graphics OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treba View Post

I doubt that. It's not the classical version of powersafe, where the cpu was just throttled to minimum speed. It's the intel_pstate governor. Sure there's some overhead of the powersaving mode, but it shouldn't make a huge difference, as we can see from the xonotic benchmarks which probably are more cpu-limited as the unigine benchmarks.

BTW. funny use of language "Actually, everyone else is wrong."
    I believe the performance governor also sets the range of speeds for the integrated graphics as well. What would be interesting is to see the frequency the CPU and GPU are running at while the test is running. On the hardware I've tested, it makes a pretty big difference (at least on my i3 6100 and Core M 5Y10c.)

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Doesn't modesetting force 2D rendering to be ran through 3D?
      It means it is going to use a generic code path, which yes, in this case I believe runs it through the 3D hardware. This is similar to how it works on the AMD side. It seems like a lot of Linux distributions are defaulting to this now since the Intel SNA driver is kinda buggy. There is also a video at some Linux conference about the decision (maybe XDC?)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Is that true? 'Cause when I mentioned 4.14 on OMG! and said there were serious Intel regressions, I only got a couple of replies stating that nothing was wrong at most people's machines and that my hardware was to blame, etc.
        Unfortunately, it's true - I'm building, among others optimized kernels for Ubuntu and derivatives - I tested this regression from the kernel version 4.14.0 to 4.14.4 - make many changes in the configuration and still the same bug - applies to machines from Broadwell up, for example Haswell is approx.

Comment

The p-state governor can make a huge impact on results.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...ux.9369/page=6

this is why we recommend users change their p-state to performance when playing as the differences can be dramatic, it’s more noticeable on Vulcan games than OpenGL however depending on your setup you can easily remove frame drops and increase overall performance by 10% plus.

http://support.feralinteractive.com/...i_cpu_governor
          Last edited by edddeduck_feral; 07 December 2017, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edddeduck_feral View Post
            The p-state governor can make a huge impact on results.

this is why we recommend users change their p-state to performance when playing as the differences can be dramatic, it’s more noticeable on Vulcan games than OpenGL however depending on your setup you can easily remove frame drops and increase overall performance by 10% plus.
            Right but for the purposes of this comparison though was just an out-of-the-box OS comparison.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Right but for the purposes of this comparison though was just an out-of-the-box OS comparison.
              Of course this was not anything about your all default out the box testing method. I have found a lot of people think the intel_pstate will have little effect where in reality with games it can be a massive factor. I was just providing a little extra background and examples to how p-state does effect game performance.

This was the post in question.

Originally posted by treba View Post
              I doubt that. It's not the classical version of powersafe, where the cpu was just throttled to minimum speed. It's the intel_pstate governor. Sure there's some overhead of the powersaving mode, but it shouldn't make a huge difference, as we can see from the xonotic benchmarks which probably are more cpu-limited as the unigine benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by edddeduck_feral View Post

Of course this was not anything about your all default out the box testing method. I have found a lot of people think the intel_pstate will have little effect where in reality with games it can be a massive factor. I was just providing a little extra background and examples to how p-state does effect game performance.
                Ah okay, understood. I will probably run some fresh benchmarks in the days ahead on Linux 4.15 with Ryzen + Intel comparing the different governor options again these days and their impact on performance with the latest games for helping people understand the difference. It's been a few kernels since I last ran such comparison so should be interesting to see with the latest CPUfreq and P-State happenings.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The people saying it makes a difference is right. It can also impact server latency, so be sure to test CPU performance bias on your web servers as well. Of course it makes a difference to wattage, too, and that may be a big consideration if you're paying for it, or having to cool it (as in Michael's basement den).

In many cases that's someone else's job, though, and part of what you pay for - so why pay the same for less?

If people would stop turning C-states off in the BIOS (they're a crucial performance tool for enabling turbo-boost, as well as saving some power) and turn performance bias on, they'd have the best of both worlds. The impact can clearly be seen on a moderately-used server.

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                    Michael do You know that kernels 4.14 and 4.15 have a mega bug [regression] in Intel i915 drivers ?!?! Somehow, for now, the Intel developers 'are not eager' to fix it
                    - for example:

Issue description After switching to kernel 4.14, the screen has flickering and response rate in Xorg is sluggish. The only change is 4.13->4.14. Graphics run smoothly in 4.13. As a data point, run...

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/poor-ope...nux-4-14/35453

Regards
                    GLX gears runs butter smooth here on very similar hardware (xps 13 kaby lake). Running kernel 4.14.4 on solus: https://i.imgur.com/fqq5Kci.png
                    Last edited by bwat47; 10 December 2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

GLX gears runs butter smooth here on very similar hardware (xps 13 kaby lake). Running kernel 4.14.4 on solus: https://i.imgur.com/fqq5Kci.png
                      That's how I wrote about it in this place

My internet connection seems to work very well in some applications, and terribly awful in others: I checked the speed on speedtest dot net and the result is 350 mbps download and upload, I’ve downloaded a 4gb opensuse iso in 10 minutes, however the output from the speedtest-cli is about 1 mbps download and upload, and I get that same speed in some steam games, when installing packages from pamac it took me 1 hour to download 700 mb. I googled the issue and maybe it could be related to ipv6 or...

Comment

Working...
                      X