Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suppressing The Concerns Over HDCP Content Protection For Intel's Linux DRM Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    Do you think that there is no violence or threat of violence involved with fines?
    Already expressed my opinion in post https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...675#post993675

"It means the least amount of violence to get compliance, which is probably closer to what he actually meant.

While both "arresting after warnings" and "gunning down on sight" a suspect are technically violence, the former is the least amount of it."

Are you also presenting "jailing" as an example of a non-violence enforcement mechanism?
    Jail is a pretty non-violent enforcement mechanism if compared to most others.

Example of what I'd call "violent" enforcement mechanisms are the good ol' beat-downs, physical torture, crippling (cutting hands/feet/body parts), forced isolation, and of course various kinds of ritual/spectacular executions.

If you are uncomfortable accepting the use of violence (or the threat of doing so) in the enforcement of these privacy laws
    On the contrary. I'd personally really love to see more violence in enforcement of just laws. Violence is significantly faster in getting shit done and much harder to counter, if well guided, and I don't care much about harming wrong-doers.

In practice though we all know it's better not to do that, as we can't usually trust the enforcers to be as just and fair as we are.
    So restricting them to the least amount of violence is the safest bet to keep people as safe as possible in case they screw up.

Comment

aaand vBullettin blocks a post for cybertraveler above

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        Since this is chipset stuff, a 3ed party chipset accomodating the AMD Ryzen series (maybe by FPGA?) might be the solution here.
        Afaik the PSP on AMD is physically in the CPU/APU, the "chipset" is mostly a southbridge with controllers for low-speed interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          Still another workaround is to stockpile the older stuff, or expect to buy it over Ebay and then use an external flasher to update the firmware
          Yeah, that's a good short term solution. I've done this a bit myself.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Jail is a pretty non-violent enforcement mechanism if compared to most others.
            "pretty non-violent" isn't a thing. It's a bit like saying "pretty non-zero". I agree that some actions are more violent than others (like the example you gave). So you can say "pretty violent". However I don't think there are shades of grey when it comes to non-violent actions. I also don't think there is any ambiguity or subtle nuances that make it unreasonable for me to clearly state: "putting someone in jail is a violent act". The only possible way I can imagine someone could argue against that statement would be to say that "threats of violence" are not themselves violent acts. But I have been clear in all my prior posts that I am talking about both physical acts of violence and threats of violence.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            On the contrary. I'd personally really love to see more violence in enforcement of just laws.
            I don't share your position due to our disagreement about the justness of privacy laws.

I do appreciate your honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

"pretty non-violent" isn't a thing. It's a bit like saying "pretty non-zero". I agree that some actions are more violent than others (like the example you gave). So you can say "pretty violent". However I don't think there are shades of grey when it comes to non-violent actions. I also don't think there is any ambiguity or subtle nuances that make it unreasonable for me to clearly state: "putting someone in jail is a violent act". The only possible way I can imagine someone could argue against that statement would be to say that "threats of violence" are not themselves violent acts. But I have been clear in all my prior posts that I am talking about both physical acts of violence and threats of violence.

I don't share your position due to our disagreement about the justness of privacy laws.

I do appreciate your honesty.
              Again here in EU we don't ask for punishing anyone, politicians throw multimillion fines all by them selves. I would prefer a law that says ISA Transcoding is legal and a small fund to deploy a small team to develop transcoders/state_trackers/console_hacking.
              Last edited by artivision; 05 December 2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post
                I always appreciate that Linux has been pragmatic in this regard, I'm sure if people like the FSF were in control it would only run on one laptop from the 90s.
                are you talking about the same FSF guys that built GNU software on proprietary systems like VMS and SunOS? I cannot see a lack of pragmatism here

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I only just realized that I hadn't seen any e-mail notifications from Phoronix in a while.

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                  None of this is relevant. Why should most of the population be going to 9-to-5 job, and feed pockets of their bosses?
                  OK, why should most of the population have to till the land or hunt or do other tasks that take most of each day of their life in order to support themselves, while a certain class of entrepreneurs get a special ability to freeload off a single day's work for their whole lives.

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                  Author's rights are protecting non-material work. You're free to accept the deal, and buy it. But, if you think, that it's not worth it. Then, you're free to refuse the deal, and don't buy it, don't watch it, don't listen to it.
                  1. I never charge for (non-scarce) copies of stuff I create... just the (scarce) time it takes to do the work.
                  2. I've been boycotting the MPAA for over a decade. The only reason I've seen recent movies like Tangled, Frozen, and Zootopia is because some other family member put on a borrowed copy and I wandered in and sat down.
                  3. I've been boycotting the RIAA for the same period of time and my main source of music is stuff the creators give away for free, like OCRemix, Mod Archive, YouTube releases of fan music or indie music, music I extract from or receive with DRM-free games I paid for, free recordings of classical music, etc. (And, if the indie stuff shows up on Groupees at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll throw some money their way.)
                  4. I don't buy eBooks (though I will accept gratis DRM-free ones)... I go to the used book store, the library's overstock boutique, or AbeBooks and exercise my rights under the first-sale doctrine because then I have something physical and scarce I can hold in my hand and display on my shelf.
                  5. I only buy games on my terms, which means GOG.com, Humble Indie Bundles (where I move the sliders to $0 for any Steam-only games in the bundles), eBay, Amazon Marketplace, and other sources of DRM-free downloads or old CDs I can make backups of. (I justify GOG.com purchases as "paying for a service... off-site backup of my games")
                  6. Most of my entertainment over the last decade has either been from my programming hobby, reading technical blogs and publications, or reading fanfiction.
                  Your move.

Comment

So basically article tells us there going to be useless backdoor code lurking around. No need to worry, because Intel has always been treacherous bitch. Doh.

Comment

Working...
                    X