Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts FP16 GLSL Patches For Mesa

Phoronix: Intel Posts FP16 GLSL Patches For Mesa

Topi Pohjolainen of Intel has been working on adding proper FP16/half-precision support to Mesa's GLSL code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if their next big arch update will include actual FP16 (and int16) compute (or does it already exist?).

Comment

The shader ISA has supported W types (int16) since the original 965. HF (16-bit float) is newer, but has existed for quite some time as well.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

So, because it is in GLSL, that means that everything that supports OpenGL 3.3 will automatically support FP16(even if it is slower due to lack of native hardware) functions? Or am I missing something?
        I wonder what ever happened to that project that was building a GLSL-based FP64 library for cards without native FP64 support?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          I wonder if their next big arch update will include actual FP16 (and int16) compute (or does it already exist?).
          Intel iGPUs added native fp16 in Gen8 (coincident with Broadwell). As with Nvidia's GP100 and AMD's Vega, its throughput is 2x that of fp32.
          In contrast, the way Nvidia's tensor engine works, in Volta, is rather different and might not be easily utilized for ordinary shader arithmetic.

This is worth a look:

https://software.intel.com/sites/def...ics%20Gen8.pdf

Here's a nice comparison of their various generations and models:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hth_generation
          Last edited by coder; 29 November 2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X