Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Ironlake Receives Patches For RC6 Power Savings

Phoronix: Intei Ironlake Receives Patches For RC6 Power Savings

Intel Ironlake "Gen 5" graphics have been around for seven years now since being found in Clarkdale and Arrandale processors while finally now the patches are all worked out for enabling RC6 power-savings support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo!

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Intei

Comment

Horray! So after 5 years of using an Ironlake based laptop it finally receives proper software support for the power management features implemented in hardware

Comment

Still using Ironlake in my daughter's laptop though it stays plugged in 24/7. Hopefully this won't affect stability. I've only just got it stable again after discovering that OpenSUSE's attempts at backporting newer DRM code (to support newer hardware) was the cause of our frequent corruption and crashes. Mind you, it'll probably be ages before this hits OpenSUSE Leap.

Comment

You can always boot with i915.enable_rc6=0 to turn it back off if there's a problem.
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

And here I thought Ironlake didn't even have RC6. I don't use my old machine much anymore, but it's still ticking when I do turn it on. Now it'll tick with a bit less power consumption

I also saw on the mesa mailing list that the GPU hangs during VAAPI decoding are being fixed (see here). They got less annoying when proper GPU reset got implemented, but anyway, really nice to see Ironlake getting some love.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
              You can always boot with i915.enable_rc6=0 to turn it back off if there's a problem.
              Yep, but what if longer battery life is actually necessary?

Comment

I wonder how many Ironlake chips there are out there in total that run linux, and how much power has been wasted in the last 7 years because this wasn't enabled sooner

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                  No, you can't...? https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/147554.html

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    I wonder how many Ironlake chips there are out there in total that run linux, and how much power has been wasted in the last 7 years because this wasn't enabled sooner
                    Practically negligible compared to the wastage from all the people still running their P4 machines or other CPUs from that era.

Comment

Working...
                    X