X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    There is no need for chipset support. The only way to block this at the hardware level is for Intel to remove or lockdown their CPU's 16-bit mode
    Well, then I'm confused as to WTF Intel is actually removing. Again, I don't see mobo vendors taking time/money/effort to add legacy BIOS back in if Intel removes it from their platform.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomin View Post
    It used to be common to flash new BIOS versions with FreeDOS memory stick or CD. How much there is need for that with current UEFI boards? I know that usually you can flash it within UEFI menu and some boards can do emergency flashing without any display (note that not all boards support this!), but how often these are not enough? I have too little experience on UEFI motherboards that I could really comment on this, but on one old BIOS motherboard I had to use DOS because it the BIOS tool didn't work well (left me with 64 MiB of usable memory). I know that some people have this thing called Windows which seems to be well supported, but lets assume that one just doesn't have it for whatever reason. It could be just that they don't have a working installation and they can't have it without flashing the (UEFI) BIOS first.
    There is a UEFI feature called "UEFI Capsule" that sends the firmware to the UEFI and has it flash it on its own. Their idea is probably getting this system more standardized and able to work on all devices.
    It's of course supported by Windows https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...pdate-platform
    and there is also a Linux project with tools and its own firmware repository https://fwupd.org/

If you get your hands on the capsule blob (a *.cab file) you can manually "install" it with the Linux commandline tool. (more like send it to the UEFI and let it do its thing, which is the same on any OS).

Since this is a standardized UEFI system and not a custom BIOS flashing tool it is less likely to blow up (as any upstream bug will affect anyone, and will be cached fast).

My Lenovo laptop from 2015 supports it if I check from Linux, and I'm pretty sure the windows-only "firmware upgrade" tool is actually using capsules.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    Argh! My card is an ATI 7750, and the chip was launched in 2012! And I don't want to change it because it is fanless...
    Sapphire and other brands were slower to provide UEFI-compatible cards. It might be possible that your manufacturer has a firmware update with UEFI support, or that you can find a dump compatible with your GPU in this database of GPU BIOSes (also useful to find out which GPUs are actually UEFI-compatible). https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

But quite frankly in 2020 that card would be like 8 years old, and if you aren't in dire need of sending Intel your $$$ you can probably get by for another 5 years with whatever the last CSM-supported system in 2019, without losing much in performance.

So yeah, I would not worry that much. By the time it becomes an actual issue, the card is going to be obsolete anyway.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It's Intel platform. I don't see Asus and such going out of their way to add legacy support if the chipset doesn't support it.
    There is no need for chipset support.

The only way to block this at the hardware level is for Intel to remove or lockdown their CPU's 16-bit mode (needed by BIOS and its applications to run). Which would be strange given Intel's promise of retrocompatibility, but it's indeed possible (and imho good riddance)

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    Of course it WILL mitigate some risks! Say, your ability to have full control over your hardware
    CSM does not give me full control over a shit. My OS is still a passenger running under the control of two shit OSes. CSM is a module running on UEFI. It does not disable UEFI, just adds stuff on top to let BIOS applications run.

So you wanted UEFI... alright, you'll have it.
    None in IT really "wanted" UEFI. It's Intel's pet project.

Then, few years later, I'd be damned if they wouldn't put last nail into this coffin:
    Secure Boot per-se isn't as bad. On proper UEFI firmwares the user can add his own keys, so even if they mandate SecureBoot enabled I can still boot what I want.

Intel puts the infrastructure in place, but the decision to lockdown or not (i.e. who is good and who is bad) is defined by the OEMs (influenced by Microsoft or not).

So yeah, it's shit, but not as bad as you picture.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    im getting a New PC this week an has UEFI ( all AMD ) but is UEFI so much better than the plain old EFI?
    EFI is an older version of UEFI used in Apple PCs.

Assuming you mean BIOS in the question, UEFI does have some benefits too, assuming your board's UEFI does not cut too much options, but it comes with so much added bullcrap that it's a bit meh on the safety side of things.

Some of the things I like about UEFI is that it allows easier passthrough of GPUs in KVM (if the GPU has a UEFI firmware onboard, and the CPU/chipset support this anyway), and that I can use eEFInd graphical boot manager (independent boot manager so distros can't screw it up unlike what happens with GRUB2).

Also decent UEFI firmwares allow you to select manually the boot manager from within the UEFI interface itself (by travelling into the folders it sees in the EFI partition on disk), and to add/manage SecureBoot keys so you can use SecureBoot with your own self-signed key.

Then you have some amazing graphics and mouse support in the board setup interface. Which is debatable.

The main UEFI issue is that it is significantly more complex than BIOS, so it's easier to get buggy shit UEFI firmwares, and they are all probably unsafe one way or another.

For example my AMD laptop has an UEFI option to disable the PSP, but it does not do anything and resets to "enabled". Maybe your PC has that option and it works too (I've seen UEFI setup screens and quite a bit of boards now offer that option).

EDIT: another thing I like of UEFI is that it has facilities called "uefi capsule" that let you upgrade the firmware in supported devices using UEFI itself (no more freedos or windows-only firmware updaters). Windows supports this of course, and the same format is used by a linux project/repository of firmwares https://fwupd.org/
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 November 2017, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    It used to be common to flash new BIOS versions with FreeDOS memory stick or CD. How much there is need for that with current UEFI boards? I know that usually you can flash it within UEFI menu and some boards can do emergency flashing without any display (note that not all boards support this!), but how often these are not enough? I have too little experience on UEFI motherboards that I could really comment on this, but on one old BIOS motherboard I had to use DOS because it the BIOS tool didn't work well (left me with 64 MiB of usable memory). I know that some people have this thing called Windows which seems to be well supported, but lets assume that one just doesn't have it for whatever reason. It could be just that they don't have a working installation and they can't have it without flashing the (UEFI) BIOS first.

Leave a comment:

• ossuser
    replied
    Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    Of course it WILL mitigate some risks! Say, your ability to have full control over your hardware is a security threat in "DRM sponsored hardware" kind of thing. BIOS is bad at it. You see, it has been engineered in the age when computers were used to do computing. Not to goofy others, vendor lock, apply DRM or so. But hell a lot of things changed.

So it nears endgame phase. One should be really stubborn, dumb, blind and ignorant to fail to get the idea. It seems age PC has been open platform, more or less trustworthy, with no strings attached, just doing its job is at its end. So welcome to "DRM sponsored hardware" age. The age where HW betrays you, fools you and takes advantage of you on its own. That's what Intel really means. So you wanted UEFI... alright, you'll have it.

Then, few years later, I'd be damned if they wouldn't put last nail into this coffin:

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I would prefer to be realistic and I'm pretty sure it would take merely few more years to finish locking everybody out. Then Intel would have godlike power to decide who is good guy and bad guy. And lock "bad" guys out. Somehow it does not seems like happy end of the story, because "good guys" wielding unimaginable power and ruling by iron fist are a bit scary thing. Especially when they mumble about DRM sponsored hardware and so on...
    I don't see your comment as pessimistic, it's realistic, and quite scary.

Adding some more thoughts:
    * using secure boot for your security (replace the M$ cert chain with your own) won't get you a working system because of add-in hardware where you can't change the cert
    * M$ is working on Linux support within Windows -> no need to boot Linux anymore
    * and if you do, possible developments where someone whos has actual control over his/her systems/network is considered "bad", or "hacker", or "terrorist"
    * the only way to boot Linux on an UEFI system will be with a M$ supplied cert, which is not what we want
    * the still present certificate authority mess, and lack of good tools to disable certs you don't want
    * the bad shape of code on router/modem/TV's/IoT devices

You know, a few years ago some Justice department guy said on TV (Netherlands public channel) that he would like to be able to search people's computers realtime and over the Internet.
    But he also said that it was not time for that, yet.

Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    looking at modern uefi implementation i sometimes thing legacy bios is better, even if some of its code dates back decades.

Leave a comment:

• tyuper
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Planning To End Legacy BIOS Support By 2020

Intel is planning to end "legacy BIOS" support in their new platforms by 2020 in requiring UEFI Class 3 or higher...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-BIOS-EOL-2020
    So this is how IBM PC-compatible dies.. with thunderous applause of evil corporations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X