Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Useful Intel Power Management Feature Has Landed For Linux 4.15

Phoronix: A Useful Intel Power Management Feature Has Landed For Linux 4.15

The libata subsystem changes these days tend to not be too interesting, but for Linux 4.15 there is a noteworthy power management change...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Better compatibility while having almost the same power saving? Nice.
    I'm starting to get happy to know Ubuntu 18.04 will ship with 4.15 instead of 4.14.

Comment

On the topic of power consumption, is there any recent measurement to see how much Linux is lagging behind Windows?

Comment

Finally! After replacing the m.2 drive in my Chromebook, linux started crashing at startup on battery. I figured out that it was ALPM configured to min_power by tlp. When I changed it to medium_power I haven't had a SATA crash since. I've also had worse battery life!

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
          is there any recent measurement to see how much Linux is lagging behind Windows?
          With tlp and Opera battery-saving it's other way around usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
            On the topic of power consumption, is there any recent measurement to see how much Linux is lagging behind Windows?
            with tlp and unity my battery life is better than windows 10/ kernel 4.13

Comment

A little correction on the phoronix article, 4.15 does introduce a new med_power_with_dipm setting for the sata link-powermanagement-policy, but this does not get enabled by default. I'm working on a patch-set to allow setting a different (different then max_performance) link-powermanagement-policy for mobile chipsets through Kconfig, but that patch-set is not even finished yet, so it will definitely not make 4.15.

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
                A little correction on the phoronix article, 4.15 does introduce a new med_power_with_dipm setting for the sata link-powermanagement-policy, but this does not get enabled by default. I'm working on a patch-set to allow setting a different (different then max_performance) link-powermanagement-policy for mobile chipsets through Kconfig, but that patch-set is not even finished yet, so it will definitely not make 4.15.
                So suppose one wants to enable this new policy. What does one do? If I have tlp installed, should I edit /etc/default/tlp by replacing "SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=min_power" with "SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=med_power_with_dipm"? Or should I edit/create /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm and stick that same line in there? Should I do both?

Comment

Working...
                X