Intel Posts Patches For SPIR-V Generation From Mesa's GLSL Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Patches For SPIR-V Generation From Mesa's GLSL Compiler

Phoronix: Intel Posts Patches For SPIR-V Generation From Mesa's GLSL Compiler

Longtime Intel open-source graphics driver developer Ian Romanick has posted his initial set of patches for what he calls "the first of the real SPIR-V work."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

many of the shaders not converting to SPIR-V are due to those shaders relying upon legacy features that cannot be represented within SPIR-V constructs.
    Does the standard specify a standardized error message for this common error case?
    (If not they should add that to the standard.)

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      Does the standard specify a standardized error message for this common error case?
      (If not they should add that to the standard.)
      I don't think Michael's description of this work was correct, or is at least misleading. It's only a step towards that extension in regards that it provides more testing possibilities for the driver.

This is about turning Mesa into a GLSL->SPIR-V compiler, which is not a part of any standard spec and definitely not in OpenGL. It's just a new dev tool that game developers can use (they already have a HLSL->GLSL pipeline, so now they can do HLSL->GLSL->SPIR-V), and a new way of testing SPIR-V drivers by using existing GLSL tests.

The spec Michael referred to just lets drivers take in pre-existing SPIR-V code. I think it's not yet enabled for the Intel drivers because there are a few more pieces that need to be finished off, and Ian just wants more testing done first before going there.

***Don't take any of that as gospel, it's just my impression of things so i could be wrong about parts.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 11 November 2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't think Michael's description of this work was correct, or is at least misleading. It's only a step towards that extension in regards that it provides more testing possibilities for the driver.

This is about turning Mesa into a GLSL->SPIR-V compiler, which is not a part of any standard spec and definitely not in OpenGL. It's just a new dev tool that game developers can use (they already have a HLSL->GLSL pipeline, so now they can do HLSL->GLSL->SPIR-V), and a new way of testing SPIR-V drivers by using existing GLSL tests.

The spec Michael referred to just lets drivers take in pre-existing SPIR-V code. I think it's not yet enabled for the Intel drivers because there are a few more pieces that need to be finished off, and Ian just wants more testing done first before going there.

***Don't take any of that as gospel, it's just my impression of things so i could be wrong about parts.
        The standard way to compile GLSL shaders to SPIR-V offline/ahead of time is Glslang (often through shaderc). If a GLSL->SPIR-V pass is being added to Mesa, it is probably intended to centralize the pipeline between GLSL and SPIR-V shaders, so that GLSL shaders are simply lowered to SPIR-V, which you could've provided directly (through GL_ARB_gl_spirv). This means that both paths hit the SPIR-V step, which means that behaviour will be standard between the two.

This is, at least, what I think it would be useful for.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

The standard way to compile GLSL shaders to SPIR-V offline/ahead of time is Glslang (often through shaderc). If a GLSL->SPIR-V pass is being added to Mesa, it is probably intended to centralize the pipeline between GLSL and SPIR-V shaders, so that GLSL shaders are simply lowered to SPIR-V, which you could've provided directly (through GL_ARB_gl_spirv). This means that both paths hit the SPIR-V step, which means that behaviour will be standard between the two.

This is, at least, what I think it would be useful for.
          Ian definitely intends for this to be a glslang competitor, used for compiling the shaders offline. However, I'm sure he has some thoughts about combining code paths as much as possible too.

Comment

Working...
          X