Intel Mesa Driver Shows Support For OpenGL Games To Set/Get Their Own NIR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Mesa Driver Shows Support For OpenGL Games To Set/Get Their Own NIR

Phoronix: Intel Mesa Driver Shows Support For OpenGL Games To Set/Get Their Own NIR

Via ARB_get_program_binary Intel is working on allowing programs to retrieve or load their own NIR representation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does this work from the game developer perspective? The same binary would work for intel drivers in Linux, Mac and Windows? Or should it have one for each OS?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      How does this work from the game developer perspective?
      This feature can only be used to implement a shader cache. Basically, the game compiles the raw GLSL shader, retrieves the binary, stores it somewhere, and on the next run, passes the binary to OpenGL. If the driver rejects it for whatever reason, the game needs to compile the GLSL shader again.

In other words, you cannot ship shader binaries with your application and expect them to work anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        How does this work from the game developer perspective? The same binary would work for intel drivers in Linux, Mac and Windows? Or should it have one for each OS?
        The cover letter for the series says:
        "The binary saved can only be reloaded on the exact same Mesa build using the exact same hardware."

Comment

mesa git now should work with supertuxkart without patches:
          https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...e0d413ce38b2f2
          Last edited by davidbepo; 09 November 2017, 08:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
          X