Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The Intel Vulkan Driver With F1 2017 On Linux

Phoronix: Trying Out The Intel Vulkan Driver With F1 2017 On Linux

With Feral Interactive's port of F1 2017 to Linux, only Radeon via RADV and NVIDIA are supported for this racing game that's making use of the Vulkan graphics API under Linux. For those curious about if Intel graphics can squeeze by for this game with the open-source "ANV" Intel Vulkan driver, I tried it out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Intel graphics aren't the fastest to begin with but even if the RADV driver wouldn't lead to a seg fault, it would likely be painfully slow on all Intel UHD/HD Graphics except for possibly the few Intel chips with Iris Graphics.
    I think you mean ANV.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

I think you mean ANV.
      Yep. typo. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for testing this, looking forward to the amdgpu pro test :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          Thanks for testing this, looking forward to the amdgpu pro test :-)
          The PRO results so far are very interesting They should be up in a couple hours.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Meanwhile I'm getting exactly this problem in a RX 570. Have tried various versions of Mesa and kernels but still can't get it stable. Other Vulkan games work fine thought.

Comment

Well...Michael's results with AMD Radeon are in. AMD 1.....Intel 0. I would VERY MUCH like to see an AMD Raven Ridge APU Vulkan test vs various Intel iGPU models. In fact...multiple generations of AMD APU's from Kaveri to Carrizo and Bristol Ridge and the new Raven Ridge with multiple Intel iGPU equipped CPU's.

That is.....(chuckle) as soon as Intel fixes their Vulkan driver.

Comment

This shows like bad Linux gaming is, graphics API layer should be abstract enough to dont care about particular HW vendor.
                1) Games should fully support particular API
                2) GPU drivers should fully support particular API

On Windows we cared about it lastime in Win98 era, before unified Direct3D and OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                  This shows like bad Linux gaming is, graphics API layer should be abstract enough to dont care about particular HW vendor.
                  1) Games should fully support particular API
                  2) GPU drivers should fully support particular API

On Windows we cared about it lastime in Win98 era, before unified Direct3D and OpenGL.
                  ANV is woefully incomplete, and doesn't make any kind of claim of being anywhere near conformance. Mesa themselves are recommending against using Vulkan applications on Intel hardware for the time being. If anything, distros shouldn't be shipping ANV and giving people the wrong impression, but that removes functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post

ANV is woefully incomplete, and doesn't make any kind of claim of being anywhere near conformance. Mesa themselves are recommending against using Vulkan applications on Intel hardware for the time being. If anything, distros shouldn't be shipping ANV and giving people the wrong impression, but that removes functionality.
                    This is wrong. ANV was conformant since the vulkan release, and they are generally better at keeping up with the conformance tests & khronos extensions than RADV. I suspect RADV gets a stronger push from game developers and Valve though, which could result in games working better in general. However, give the intel developers a few days to look at this issue and I would not be surprised if it is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X