Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying Out The Intel Vulkan Driver With F1 2017 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying Out The Intel Vulkan Driver With F1 2017 On Linux

    Phoronix: Trying Out The Intel Vulkan Driver With F1 2017 On Linux

    With Feral Interactive's port of F1 2017 to Linux, only Radeon via RADV and NVIDIA are supported for this racing game that's making use of the Vulkan graphics API under Linux. For those curious about if Intel graphics can squeeze by for this game with the open-source "ANV" Intel Vulkan driver, I tried it out...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l-Vulkan-Trial

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Intel graphics aren't the fastest to begin with but even if the RADV driver wouldn't lead to a seg fault, it would likely be painfully slow on all Intel UHD/HD Graphics except for possibly the few Intel chips with Iris Graphics.
    I think you mean ANV.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tomin View Post

      I think you mean ANV.
      Yep. typo. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for testing this, looking forward to the amdgpu pro test :-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          Thanks for testing this, looking forward to the amdgpu pro test :-)
          The PRO results so far are very interesting They should be up in a couple hours.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Meanwhile I'm getting exactly this problem in a RX 570. Have tried various versions of Mesa and kernels but still can't get it stable. Other Vulkan games work fine thought.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well...Michael's results with AMD Radeon are in. AMD 1.....Intel 0. I would VERY MUCH like to see an AMD Raven Ridge APU Vulkan test vs various Intel iGPU models. In fact...multiple generations of AMD APU's from Kaveri to Carrizo and Bristol Ridge and the new Raven Ridge with multiple Intel iGPU equipped CPU's.

              That is.....(chuckle) as soon as Intel fixes their Vulkan driver.

              Comment


              • #8
                This shows like bad Linux gaming is, graphics API layer should be abstract enough to dont care about particular HW vendor.
                1) Games should fully support particular API
                2) GPU drivers should fully support particular API

                On Windows we cared about it lastime in Win98 era, before unified Direct3D and OpenGL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                  This shows like bad Linux gaming is, graphics API layer should be abstract enough to dont care about particular HW vendor.
                  1) Games should fully support particular API
                  2) GPU drivers should fully support particular API

                  On Windows we cared about it lastime in Win98 era, before unified Direct3D and OpenGL.
                  ANV is woefully incomplete, and doesn't make any kind of claim of being anywhere near conformance. Mesa themselves are recommending against using Vulkan applications on Intel hardware for the time being. If anything, distros shouldn't be shipping ANV and giving people the wrong impression, but that removes functionality.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by roothorick View Post

                    ANV is woefully incomplete, and doesn't make any kind of claim of being anywhere near conformance. Mesa themselves are recommending against using Vulkan applications on Intel hardware for the time being. If anything, distros shouldn't be shipping ANV and giving people the wrong impression, but that removes functionality.
                    This is wrong. ANV was conformant since the vulkan release, and they are generally better at keeping up with the conformance tests & khronos extensions than RADV. I suspect RADV gets a stronger push from game developers and Valve though, which could result in games working better in general. However, give the intel developers a few days to look at this issue and I would not be surprised if it is fixed.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X