Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Driver Likely To Re-Enable Fastboot By Default

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Driver Likely To Re-Enable Fastboot By Default

For the past five years or so has been work on Intel DRM "Fastboot" support and it's looking like this feature may finally be re-enabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it took them five years to fix this?

Comment

Amazing. Maybe in few years the Atom mobile SoCs won't crash all the time anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Amazing. Maybe in few years the Atom mobile SoCs won't crash all the time anymore.
        What examples do you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          i had a bug around kernel 3.0 which caused modesetting to lock up the machine. it got fixed in 3.5, broken again and fixed in 3.7. take into account how long does it take to release just one major kernel version and do the math.

and since witout modesetting intel driver would not work at all, i had to use vesa driver on subpar resolution and no 2d acceleration with a full hd capable display all that time.

ever since then, i am somewhat wary of intel graphics. they have enterprise bug fixing cycle, even in their opensource projects. when stuff works, it's okay. when it breaks, better get a backup non-intel card.
          Last edited by yoshi314; 01 November 2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

What examples do you have in mind?
            How about this https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

Comment

I'm still waiting for Intel to fix broken Wake on LAN on Skylake NUCs, probably will happen with Kernel 5.20

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

i had a bug around kernel 3.0 which caused modesetting to lock up the machine. it got fixed in 3.5, broken again and fixed in 3.7. take into account how long does it take to release just one major kernel version and do the math.

and since witout modesetting intel driver would not work at all, i had to use vesa driver on subpar resolution and no 2d acceleration with a full hd capable display all that time.

ever since then, i am somewhat wary of intel graphics. they have enterprise bug fixing cycle, even in their opensource projects. when stuff works, it's okay. when it breaks, better get a backup non-intel card.
                I've only used Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" on Ubuntu, and I've never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I think it's more to do with moving Xorg's i915 driver to KMS, which has been a distro policy thing more than a 'how long did it take them'. I could be wrong. There's been several generations of i915 hardware and Intel has been trying to make it support several releases of X, Mir and Wayland, with and without kernel modesetting, so I really wouldn't blame them if they took 5 years just to kiss a bunch of legacy kernel and userspace drivers goodbye. They needed to keep it compatible for a minimum of 4 years plus an LTS kernel plus the release period of the major distros... 5 starts to seem very fast.
                  Last edited by linuxgeex; 03 November 2017, 02:32 AM.

Comment

where should i find this option to enable it?
                    thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X