Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.15 Will Finally Graduate Intel "Coffee Lake" Graphics Out Of Alpha Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Is there some other intel architecture you had in mind? Itanium, lol?
    Well, I think he meant that perhaps POWER, SPARC and Alpha had some innovation before AMD such as SMP and virtualization.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

actually going from haswell to broadwell was a big jump on the gpu side, those gpu are basically overclocked skylakes
      The Broadwell variants that were Iris Pro was much better than the one in Haswell and had drastically increased performance.
      Then with Skylake and later they're back again to graphics that are on par with Haswell.
      The GPU in Broadwell drastically outperforms the GPU in Coffee Lake.
      The Broadwell had Iris Pro variant which had eDRAM.

Comment

Not really, multi-core means "multiple cores per socket". How those cores are arranged inside the package is just trivia.
        It isn't trivial at all! There's a big difference between multiple cores in the same die against multiple dies in the same package, because the ones in a single die may lack the bottlenecks that may have those in different dies. It might be irrelevant if the single die design sucks, of course.

It's a bit beyond basic electronics, but this have different reasons such as latency and conductivity

Comment

Considering how utterly garbage and unstable the Kabylake drivers are on the Razerblade Stealth laptop I bought earlier this year I'd like to hope this helps resolve some of the issues, but I won't be holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            It isn't trivial at all! There's a big difference between multiple cores in the same die against multiple dies in the same package, because the ones in a single die may lack the bottlenecks that may have those in different dies. It might be irrelevant if the single die design sucks, of course.

It's a bit beyond basic electronics, but this have different reasons such as latency and conductivity
            No not trivial, I agree it's not trivial at all from an engineering perspective. I said it's trivia. trivia != trivial. Confusingly similar English words. "Trivia" meaning in this case that the OS and the user don't care. Both will see it as multiple cores in a single socket, regardless of how those cores are physically arranged.

Comment

No not trivial, I agree it's not trivial at all from an engineering perspective. I said it's trivia. trivia != trivial. Confusingly similar English words. "Trivia" meaning in this case that the OS and the user don't care. Both will see it as multiple cores in a single socket, regardless of how those cores are physically arranged.
              That is not true. The operating system is well aware of the topology of the CPU since it's very important for scheduling and memory allocation. In fact this has caused some trouble with Windows games on Threadripper, I believe they sometimes disable one whole die to improve performance. Most applications aren't NUMA aware and I think the scheduler at least for Desktop Windows isn't very good in that regard either.

Comment

There are a lot more CPU manufacturers than just Intel and AMD. Also of note is that AMD offers ARM CPUs as well...

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

That is not true. The operating system is well aware of the topology of the CPU since it's very important for scheduling and memory allocation. In fact this has caused some trouble with Windows games on Threadripper, I believe they sometimes disable one whole die to improve performance. Most applications aren't NUMA aware and I think the scheduler at least for Desktop Windows isn't very good in that regard either.
                  It can't be better explained. Thanks a lot for your comment!

Comment

/
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The Broadwell variants that were Iris Pro was much better than the one in Haswell and had drastically increased performance.
                    Then with Skylake and later they're back again to graphics that are on par with Haswell.
                    The GPU in Broadwell drastically outperforms the GPU in Coffee Lake.
                    The Broadwell had Iris Pro variant which had eDRAM.
                    Haswell with eDRAM also exists, it's just rare (e.g. special desktop motherboard with the thing soldered onto it). Or not so rare if you count a model of macbookpro which I guess was 99% the volume of that thing.
                    Even Skylake with eDRAM is for real I think! They don't want to sell it though or Apple did not go with it (whatever the reason) for the stupid models of the macbookpro and so Intel did not offer it in a limited way on the consumer market either.

Perhaps the macbookpro stupid version with its four midget lightning USBs plus the built-in display means support for five displays is wanted and Intel does three displays only. (even though people are having trouble connecting a single monitor due to HDMI and cable and USB-C issues)

/final edit:
                    so apparently you can really get a Skylake with eDRAM motherboard if you really want to, but at a rather high price - Xeon brand, server chipset, perhaps a low availability.
                    Our review of the Supermicro X11SSV-M4 embedded Intel Xeon E3-1515M V5 mITX platform that sports Intel Iris Pro 580 graphics.
                    Last edited by grok; 18 October 2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I have "Coffee Lake" graphics running on my new machine. Would this explain why I can only seem to get Linux Mint to run in rendering mode? If so, would it be a simple matter of waiting for this new Kernel to become available?

Comment

Working...
                      X