Running OpenCL With Intel UHD Graphics On Coffeelake Under Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Meh, it's since Ivy bridge that their socket changes are obvious bullshit (I mean we go from 1155 to 1150 to 1151), it makes far more sense for them to just keep reusing the same hardware sockets and just change the pin layout for their usual shenanigans.
    You're right, but re-tooling the notches would cost how much? Maybe $5-10k per press, plus the down-time of the press (an hour at most)? And they sell millions of these chips. To not even bother to do that, it's just sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      You're right, but re-tooling the notches would cost how much?
      I have no idea, I assume that since x86 profits are kinda meh in consumer segment (lack of significant performance increase = less people buy new stuff) their cutting-corners mode was upped a notch.

To not even bother to do that, it's just sloppy.
      Quite frankly, it's a businness. It would be more sloppy to keep playing stupid games adding/removing single pins in a 1150-ish pin socket and wasting any money involved when they could save that cash and just reconfigure pin layout instead.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I have no idea, I assume that since x86 profits are kinda meh in consumer segment (lack of significant performance increase = less people buy new stuff) their cutting-corners mode was upped a notch.

Quite frankly, it's a businness. It would be more sloppy to keep playing stupid games adding/removing single pins in a 1150-ish pin socket and wasting any money involved when they could save that cash and just reconfigure pin layout instead.
        They don't sell 1-2 million of these. They sell tens of millions each quarter. It's not "kinda meh". In the entire world, their profits rank at 17th of all entities, not in percentile, but absolute value. The value of their brand alone is $32 billion. Yes, I will maintain that this was a very sloppy move on their part. Even worse on the software side, renaming things differently and not having any documentation that mentions this.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          It's not "kinda meh". In the entire world, their profits rank at 17th of all entities, not in percentile, but absolute value.
          What part of "consumer segment" you missed?

Large companies don't look at the full profit numbers, but at the profit numbers of each segment of their market, and make sure that each of their markets are profitable enough or they drop them.

Servers have a different socket (and market), and it is well-known that Intel banks more on Xeons and custom high-end server stuff (for Google/Amazon/friends) than on consumer stuff. They are cutting corners on the consumer side since a while ago.
          Like by not increasing cores until the usual suspect pulled a Ryzen out of their hat, and with laptop parts being 99% socketless (soldered) since years ago.

Comment

at least I can install opencl cpu non free from intel site and beignet at same with opencl 2.0 and have a boost about 20 % with both working

Comment

I run into the same problem. Would you mind to post the header file or the part you modified so that people having the same problem can rectify it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Answering to my own question...silly me missing a backslash at the end of a line in the header file. Here is the modified portion:
                #LN 353: #define PCI_CHIP_KABYLAKE_COFF_GT2 0x3e92
                #LN 357: devid == PCI_CHIP_KABYLAKE_WKS_GT2 || \
                #LN 358 devid == PCI_CHIP_KABYLAKE_COFF_GT2)

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman View Post
                  I run into the same problem. Would you mind to post the header file or the part you modified so that people having the same problem can rectify it? Thanks in advance.
                  well, please ignore my previous header file modification since I still get "cl_get_gt_device(): error, unknown device: 3e92" message...not sure how to fix it...

Comment

Working...
                  X