Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel UHD Graphics 630 "Coffee Lake" On Linux

Phoronix: Intel UHD Graphics 630 "Coffee Lake" On Linux

This morning I delivered the initial Linux processor benchmarks of the Core i7 8700K and Core i5 8400 for the just-launched "Coffee Lake" desktop processors. With these Intel "Gen 8" processors, the integrated "HD Graphics" from Kabylake have been rebranded to "UHD Graphics". While there wasn't any real changes architecturally to the graphics hardware, right now the Linux support isn't quite out-of-the-box.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The performance of the i5-7600k doesn't look right. It's way too low compared to the other HD 630.

Comment

Still beaten by 10-year-old mid-range legacy GPUs from AMD and nvidia. These things are just not suitable for anything 3D.

Comment

It barely ran only one of the modern 1080p games at 20fps. It's not even fair to call it HD let alone UHD. At bare minimum it's false advertising.

EDIT: It's all good though, I'll get a brand new round of video card upgrades after people buy these and realize they didn't get what they paid for. Thanks Intel!! And it'll be totally obvious because these products are gonna be brought home with brand new 4k monitors...
        Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

duby229 - so how much more money should us non-gamers pay for our cpu's so that the gamers get a nice, out of the box experience?

What will we call it? The Intel gamer tax?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            duby229 - so how much more money should us non-gamers pay for our cpu's so that the gamers get a nice, out of the box experience?

What will we call it? The Intel gamer tax?
            Intel has plenty of other products that would suite you just fine.

Comment

Michael do you have any APU, even older to put on perspective of iGPU?

Comment

I'm surprised that Intel dropped the ball on the Linux side. Something is going on there, some sort of dysfunction. Maybe firing 15 000 employees to have their stock rise 6% wasn't such a great business strategy.

Comment

Until AMD has all patches in place to get VAAPI working with Kodi only Intel Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake can be used to decode HEVC Main 10. Maybe this should be mentioned too... UHD is therefore just to show support of new 4k TVs (with HDR on Windows). It does not stand for UHD gaming. The current Z370 chipset however still needs an extra chip for HDMI 2.0 - only the real new chipsets won't​​​ need it... So maybe a bit wrong at this time...

Comment

It amazes me that almost every single site that tests a video card completely ignores the "video" part and instead tests gaming. The benefit of Intel's iGPU's is in it's decode and encode capabilities; they support hardware encoding of mepg-2, h264, hevc, hevc 10bit, vp8, vp9 (<--since Kaby Lake), aac and mjpeg as well as BT2020 and HDR decode and encode and vp9 10 bit and 12 bit decoding.

These are potent chips for encoding video into delivery and archival formats, yet everyone ignores it.

On a side note, it's too bad that Intel didn't add a relatively big L4 like the Iris Pro graphics, with just 128MB of cache the difference in some games is substantial, imagine if Intel was to add a 1GB L4.

Comment

Working...
                    X