No announcement yet.

The State Of Intel's GPU Virtualization Pass-Through On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I could be the person doing the talking! I speak English well enough for a non native speaker, and I understand technical vocab. :P

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      there is some tutorial, explanation to put this working, or no documention?
      Various links here. A mailing list here. And a setup here.

Comment

Any news about hardware GPU virtualization? I know some Quadro have it, I would be willing to buy them for my servers but I want FOSS drivers. Do they support such feature?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          Would this allow proper video acceleration on Linux and Windows VMs through KVM (say through gnome boxes)? I'm thinking of something like virtualbox additions that allow full resolution and improved graphical responsiveness.
          Last time I looked at it, you needed something like VNC or FreeRDP. There has been some experiments using dma_buf so the output is a lot more native-like, but not sure about their current progress. To me, it's useless until they are able to show the output directly and with high performance.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Any news about hardware GPU virtualization? I know some Quadro have it, I would be willing to buy them for my servers but I want FOSS drivers. Do they support such feature?
            Go to reddit r/VFIO, plenty of information there. Also the Arch Wiki has a good article on GPU Passthrough. You can pass through consumer GPU, I have done it with Nvidia GTX 1070, only requires two extra lines to get around the protections nvidia put in place to detect VMs from using their drivers. AMD cards don't have that issue, AMD CPUs though all suffer NPT bug with QEMU/KVM(Xen is fine), where you either choose poor CPU performance or poor GPU performance by enabling/disabling NPT.

I've tried to start a bounty at BountySource for it to get some more attention and perhaps some talent to help fix it as quite a few of us at r/VFIO are happy to put money towards a bounty to see it fixed. However BountySource has had a bug for a while now with submitting bounties to kernel bug tracker So I can't start a bounty for it yet, nor can anyone create bounties for any kernel bugs on BountySource. There is a Github issue for it but not much activity on the matter, to the point someone started a bounty to get the support fixed...

Michael phoronix (Can't tell what Michael is the correct one to tag?) know any good bounty services the linux community can use for kernel bugs since BountySource doesn't seem to be too active on resolving the issue?

Comment

Does this GVTg method still require motherboard and BIOS support for VT-d or is it a bit more hardware flexible / compatible with more systems than trying to pass a Radeon or Nvidia GPU to a VM?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                AMD cards don't have that issue
                Wait... do you mean that MxGPU works on Vega 64? I thought it didn't work on anything but Firepro... Can someone from AMD confirm?
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  Also the Arch Wiki has a good article on GPU Passthrough. You can pass through consumer GPU, I have done it with Nvidia GTX 1070, only requires two extra lines to get around the protections nvidia put in place to detect VMs from using their drivers. AMD cards don't have that issue,
                  Wait... do you mean that MxGPU works on Vega 64? I thought it didn't work on anything but Firepro... Can someone from AMD confirm?
                  Believe you are talking about two different things - Passthrough (which works on consumer GPUs) and MxGPU aka SR-IOV HW virtualization (which is specific to certain server GPUs AFAIK).
                  Test signature

Comment

What I am talking about is passing exclusive access to the hardware to the VM. So whatever GPU(or USB/Thunderbolt/SATA/NVMe controller) you want to give to the VM, which the guest no longer gets access/control to you can do.

If you want to share a device with multiple VMs and/or host, you need the support that Intel is doing here with mediated VFIO interface, or SR-IOV(professional AMD GPU and Intel networking cards have this).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Many programmers aren't good at speaking in public anyway, and practicing enough to be decent means investing a lot of time and effort.

I personally think they should have some professional speaker do the talks, while the developer is in the room for answering questions only.
                      well, a developer certainly tells the details and the story differently than a professional speaker. And, yes, as non native English speaker I know about this additional factor. This talk is just, ... grrr :-/

Maybe Intel should also hire different developers, I tried this vgt about three times and still could not get it to work, not to mention the last time I tried this compositor was still nowhere to be seen, ... :-/

Comment

Working...
                      X