Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell Scheduler Updated In LLVM

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Scheduler Updated In LLVM

Last month in LLVM there was new Sandy Bridge scheduler information to improve the instruction scheduling and other hardware detail changes so LLVM can generate more efficient code for those older CPUs. At that time we learned Intel developers were also planning improvements too for LLVM with newer Haswell / Broadwell / Skylake / Skylake-X CPUs. Improvements have now landed for Haswell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably a stupid question, but would that speed up compiling shaders for radeonsi on a system with a Haswell CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      Probably a stupid question, but would that speed up compiling shaders for radeonsi on a system with a Haswell CPU?
      it shouldn't, this should only make generated (cpu) executables faster

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

it shouldn't, this should only make generated (cpu) executables faster
        I think this is what he means. It would not speed up the shaders, but it could improve the compilation process.

Comment

It improves code generation (instruction scheduling) FOR haswell cpus.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            I think this is what he means. It would not speed up the shaders, but it could improve the compilation process.
            Correct!
            The compilation of the shader is done by the CPU, and since shader compiling is often pointed out as slow, I'm wondering

Originally posted by mlau View Post

It improves code generation (instruction scheduling) FOR haswell cpus.
            Right, so LLVM on my system should be faster, among other things, for compiling no?

Comment

Correct!
              The compilation of the shader is done by the CPU, and since shader compiling is often pointed out as slow, I'm wondering

Right, so LLVM on my system should be faster, among other things, for compiling no?
              No, the code llvm generates FOR haswell cpu should be faster, and that only if the -mtune haswell switch was used when compiling. So the version of llvm your distio provides, which probably uses generic optimizer flags, won't benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

No, the code llvm generates FOR haswell cpu should be faster, and that only if the -mtune haswell switch was used when compiling. So the version of llvm your distio provides, which probably uses generic optimizer flags, won't benefit.
                But if they build llvm on a haswell machine using this new llvm code, they could see slightly faster shader compilation. Of course a shader cache will blow away any improvements on the second run...

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

Oooooh, I did not think of that :'/ I don't mind compiling certains packages, but llvm is a bit heavy "/

Comment

Oooooh, I did not think of that :'/ I don't mind compiling certains packages, but llvm is a bit heavy "/
                    Yeah, one of the main driving factors in my upgrade from a phenom II x6 to a Ryzen 1700 was that it dropped my llvm compile times from 35-45 minutes to 15 or less.

Comment

Working...
                    X