X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't have much of a problem with rebranding (still, why do it instead of using the old names?). What I have a problem with, is mixing various generation under the same moniker in an obvious attempt to confuse the consumer and sell them inferior products. AMD has done that for years and people here gave them a pass because they were working on open source Linux drivers. Intel does it now and gets burnt to the stake.
    Intel's no saint, but let's keep it together, shall we?
    I'm not burning them for it, It's just not that big a deal. And I'm sure the reason they rename the rebranded product is so that the naming conventions align with the current gen. Maybe last gen it was a top end product and this gen it is a mid end product, then you need to update the naming conventions accordingly. It's so that people buying them -aren't- confused.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I don't really care too much about rebranding anymore, it's just not that big a deal. Last generations top end could very well be this generations mid end. I just don't see a problem with that. If the dies are still available, then they still need to be sold, and rebranding is one way to make that doable.

And on the other hand, IF BD got a 14nm redesign and they added a third integer unit per pipeline There is no doubt at all in my mind it would annihilate Zen. It's just that BD was crippled with only 2 integer units and then never got past 32nm, and never got a better cache hierarchy. No doubt it's the better architecture though, for sure.
    I don't have much of a problem with rebranding (still, why do it instead of using the old names?). What I have a problem with, is mixing various generation under the same moniker in an obvious attempt to confuse the consumer and sell them inferior products. AMD has done that for years and people here gave them a pass because they were working on open source Linux drivers. Intel does it now and gets burnt to the stake.
    Intel's no saint, but let's keep it together, shall we?

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

Or even half the *Ridge CPUs being Zen, while the other half being crappy bulldozer.
    I don't really care too much about rebranding anymore, it's just not that big a deal. Last generations top end could very well be this generations mid end. I just don't see a problem with that. If the dies are still available, then they still need to be sold, and rebranding is one way to make that doable.

And on the other hand, IF BD got a 14nm redesign and they added a third integer unit per pipeline There is no doubt at all in my mind it would annihilate Zen. It's just that BD was crippled with only 2 integer units and then never got past 32nm, and never got a better cache hierarchy. No doubt it's the better architecture though, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No. There will be proper 8th gen chips, but they'll be put under the same 8xxx moniker as these. Just like AMD sold various generations as HD6xxx or HD7xxx.
    Or even half the *Ridge CPUs being Zen, while the other half being crappy bulldozer.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Staffan View Post
    So the 8th generation really just a slightly less crippled version of the 7th generation?
    No. There will be proper 8th gen chips, but they'll be put under the same 8xxx moniker as these. Just like AMD sold various generations as HD6xxx or HD7xxx.

Leave a comment:

• arakan94
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Very sneaky to market them as 8th generation.
    Then I don't know which ones are really from the 8th generation with Coffee Lake, so I guess I will just avoid all 8th generation laptops and skip that one.
    Now it will be difficult to know if you got a Coffee Lake which is 8th generation or if you get a Kaby Lake Refresh deceptively branded as a 8th generation while it's arguably really not.
    So best to skip the entire 8th generation laptops and wait for the 9th generation Cannon Lake unless you can wait for the 10th generation Ice Lake.
    Best to stop buying Intel altogether

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by ypnos View Post

... The security implications of Intel ME are a valid issue and it makes sense to point them out, as there is no clean and secure way to remove Intel ME. Intel should listen to its customers and provide components that they can trust.

[1] https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/...ment-306435008
    [2] https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/...ment-322223581
    [3] https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/...ment-290447162
    The things one learns in the comments of a new core announcement. Thanks for pointing this out ypnos. It's sad to see that my old flagship motherboard is one of those that do not work properly when Intel ME is disabled.

Has anyone seen threads like this for Intel (honest question)? https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...eon_and_other/

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

WCCFTech welcomes you.

And no, Intel ME doesn't go anywhere. Enterprise wants it, enterprise needs it.

Also, Intel ME can be permanently disabled but bitching about Intel is so cool nowadays, right? As if Zen has finally reached IPC parity with Intel. Oh, wait, it hasn't.

Also, most consumer PCs have it disabled by default (IOW it is present but not active). But who cares? Let's mention it anyways, 'cause hating Intel is so trendy.
    Slightly butthurt intel fanboy?

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by lvlark View Post
    But if the 40% claim is accurate, then they may hold the upper ground on mobile.
    Those numbers are just pure marketing propaganda. Of course you get large speedups when you compare models with different core counts. For some users, the core count doesn't increase. Imagine the people who bought 4-core machines and will again end up buying 4-core machines. They don't get +40%. It's only for the people who go from 2 to 4.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by sdack View Post
    They're going to call the next generation "Coffee Lake"? Sounds as if somebody at Intel has had a coffee spill and took it as an inspiration.
    IIRC it was originally Cannon Lake, no idea when it got switched to Coffee Lake, both sound cool to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X