No announcement yet.

Intel Is Working On HDCP Content Protection For Linux Graphics Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one in the film industry has noticed you can get any movie literally the same day the first BD hit the shelves? and I mean RAW(as full DB backup). 720p, 1080p, 4k, 3D, etc. That is not including actual post production leaks, etc.

That should tell you enough about how useless DRM(as bad DRM) and HDCP actually are and it should be enough to avoid wasting money on developers to implement but I suppose they are doing so because they may be obligated by some backward(heavily lobbied) law in the U.S regardless of how useless it is to avoid being sued but also I believe this may stay out of tree on linux

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
      The hell is the point of this?
      Getting some kind of consumer-oriented commercial interest sparked on Linux too.

Really, we all know content distributors need this bullshit to prove that the system is "secure" to the retards in movie/music industry, HDCP isn't a security hole or a backdoor or whatever. It's just useless crap but does no harm per-se.

Really, something like this might allow Linux to run netflix properly (currenlty higher res stuff is only on Windows), and with it any other bullshit proprietary stuff that might need these kinds of "assurances".
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 July 2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Most people are looking at this as a freedom problem.

The way I'm looking at it is that Intel is making easier to hackers to mess around with a opensource implementation of HDCP. So creating new methods of breaking it.

But that is just me.
        Intel/AMD/NVIDIA have secure coprocessors where the DRM stuff is actually run and decoded and whatever. This is very likely just a driver to communicate with it (i.e. allow programs to use this hardware functionality).

HDCP's main failure is that you can fuck it sideways with an external box worth 30 bucks because the protocol used in the HDMI cable itself is retarded. And this didn't change much since its inception.

Comment

Recently I was trying to buy a movie.

First, I went to Amazon, and clicked buy. Result? "Movies are not available outside USA". OK

Then, I went to Google Play, and clicked buy. This worked. But then I clicked play. Result? It didn't work, my Chromium didn't have some DRM-related plugin. OK, I've asked for refund.

Finally, I went to The Pirate Bay, and downloaded the movie. I've got it in a minute, it worked in VLC. And it was free.
          Last edited by LEW21; 12 July 2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Isn't this the reason there isn't 4k Netflix?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              No, we're not. I said in my first post HDCP was born pointless, but given the option, I'd like the ability to enable it if needed. That was just a technical consideration on my part.
              You then swooped in and concluded that if it's pointless for home users, it should get no support in Linux. Which is something I disagree with. No subjective truths involved.
              Ummm... The only people that are supposed benefit from it are content producers like the film and TV industry, but because it can be broken and bypasses it's reduced to nothing but an inconvenience to actual consumers. There's no such thing as a display device that doesn't support HDCP-free input so you don't even have the "technical considerations" excuse to use.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Really, something like this might allow Linux to run netflix properly (currenlty higher res stuff is only on Windows), and with it any other bullshit proprietary stuff that might need these kinds of "assurances".
              4k footage on Netflix is currently Windows-exclusive because only Edge, Microsoft's own proprietary browser, has enabled browser-based support for the latest DRM module in Intel's newest line of CPUs. It's got nothing to do with HDCP.
              Last edited by L_A_G; 13 July 2017, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post
                They would better implement CEC in their drivers. Intel lags behind other manufacturers.
                Er, what?

Nvidia's hardware is physically incapable of CEC; the hardware is simply not connected in a way to make it possible. (NV representatives came right out and said this.) Pretty sure AMD has similar limitations. In any case, neither has had CEC support, even on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                  Isn't this the reason there isn't 4k Netflix?
                  Apart from the DRM/security issue, the primary reason is that Linux video acceleration is shit and needs to be standardized with GPU drivers, Firefox and Chrome, and the obvious desktop interfaces. On Windows 10, everything works relatively perfectly for media playback because there are standards used by all programs. On Linux, it's a fucking free-for-all/whatever you can get working, if possible-type deal and as there is no "app" for Netflix or any other streaming service, you are stuck using a web browser and acceleration is pretty broken there for the aforementioned reasons. Intel HD graphics is really as good as it's going to get for Linux media users unless the various companies come together and create a standard that software can be built around.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post

Er, what?

Nvidia's hardware is physically incapable of CEC; the hardware is simply not connected in a way to make it possible. (NV representatives came right out and said this.) Pretty sure AMD has similar limitations. In any case, neither has had CEC support, even on Windows.
                    Weird, pretty sure the minimal CEC is supported (auto-switching to the input on my receiver worked, at least I'm pretty sure it did.)

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

This is the reason i did not buy any Hollywood Movie production for like 15 years....
                      and i will not use stuff like netflix for the same reason.
                      I only spend money on stuff what has no harmful DRM/Copy protection function (I never noticed a negative effect on Steam based games)
                      Like 15 years ago back in the time i used Windows and software products with harmful DRM/Copy protection i really run into big problems because
                      the software really fucked anything up and just stop working after upgrading from windows98/ME to Windows2000/XP...
                      So this bad experience ended up in: not buying any DRM/Copyprotected "Movie" and only buy "bug"-"Free"-"Software" from like steam (after they start the Linux support) or better GOG.com,
                      *****compared to my income i spend high amount of money to Open/Free-Source software projects (For example Phoronix life-time-premium)

If the DRM/Copyprotection people end the war on the consumer i will end Boycott their ugly products...
                      I'm sure the irony is lost on the DRM / copy protection people that the only time we ever see the copyright notice / warning is when we legitimately buy movies, we never see that shit when they are downloaded.

Comment

Working...
                      X