Intel Core i9 7900X Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
    I would be really interested in the temperatures and the fan noise during benchmarking with the air cooler.
    You will surely need very good cooling... At golem.de ( in German ), they were recently testing power consumption of the i9-7900X, and it may become enormous: up to 80 W more than i7-6950X, when all cores run at maximum.

Comment

Does anyone know which of these benchmarks make use of MKL, instead of openBLAS? The numpy benchmark for example might be MKL, but is there a way to check?

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

You will surely need very good cooling... At golem.de ( in German ), they were recently testing power consumption of the i9-7900X, and it may become enormous: up to 80 W more than i7-6950X, when all cores run at maximum.
        Tom's hardware claims the Core i9-7900X went up to 364W when overclocked to 4.8GHz. The review also said never mind air, some water-cooling solutions were not good enough... and here I'm sitting wondering about the Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Tom's hardware claims the Core i9-7900X went up to 364W when overclocked to 4.8GHz. The review also said never mind air, some water-cooling solutions were not good enough... and here I'm sitting wondering about the Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition.
          I'll have air cooling results shortly.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
            Does anyone know which of these benchmarks make use of MKL, instead of openBLAS? The numpy benchmark for example might be MKL, but is there a way to check?
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Thanks. Golem did not go into overclocking. They claim that their whole system needed, when running at Max., 254 W (Blender). Temperature went to 79° Celsius, with a Noctua NH-U14S running on its limit.

Comment

Originally posted by MuPuF View Post
                Michael, may I ask you to run the compilation benchmark O:-)?
                Yep, timed kernel compilation and such will be coming in a few articles and more this week. Just an oversight forgetting to add build-linux-kernel (thought I did, as my favorite compilation test) when starting this comparison.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, timed kernel compilation and such will be coming in a few articles and more this week. Just an oversight forgetting to add build-linux-kernel (thought I did, as my favorite compilation test) when starting this comparison.
                  Does the kernel compilation run in tmpfs?

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
                    they use whatever ubuntu ships as default, e.g. not MKL.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                      Any particular reason for the +50% perf on some tests? Is because of AVX 512? Optimized binary? Cache?
                      Higher IPC due to a completely redesigned cache hierarchy, with four times the L2 cache.

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                      Nice results, but for US$ 1K, 140W, I prefer Ryzen 1800X
                      If you want to look at Ryzen 1800X, then compare it with i7-7800X, which has better overall performance at a great price.
                      i9-7900X will compete with larger threadrippers, due to Intel's much higher IPC, you should look at 12-16 core Threadripper when they arrive.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      All I takeaway from this is that Intel has purposely been shelving their next iterations in order to maximize profits on current upgrades while the competition catches up.
                      No one is stupid enough to belive that.
                      Intel have not kept CPUs back.

Comment

Working...
                      X