Intel OpenGL Performance On macOS 10.12 vs. Clear Linux, Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Apple has good quality input devices, sturdy chassis, high resolution displays (still uncommon from other PC manufacturers), and a foolproof out-of-the-box experience.

Basically all I really miss out on is the sturdy chassis, smooth trackpad, and high resolution display. Dell is getting close, but it's not quite there.
    There are plenty of PCs with high resolution display, "sturdy chassis" and smooth trackpad - basically all vendors from Dell to Lenovo offer options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3H8GrVm_XI&t=25s

Comment

Apple has good quality input devices, sturdy chassis, high resolution displays (still uncommon from other PC manufacturers), and a foolproof out-of-the-box experience. The OS is a mixed bag: terrible IPC performance (noticeable impact on usability), slow graphics drivers (noticeable impact on usability), very poorly maintained window manager which is rife with new bugs every release, no straightforward way to do things like lock the screen without closing the lid. On the flip side, a lot of their developer tools are quite powerful, specifically CoreImage, CoreAudio, Accelerate Framework... but none of these things are really killer features which one must have on their operating system. Application sandboxing is okay on OS X.

Back to hardware, though. I probably would have used a MacBook Pro if Apple would upstream and maintain Linux drivers for all the components in them; that is, until their recent hardware revision which has ultra-shallow key travel and some sort of touch bar where the F keys are supposed to be.

Basically all I really miss out on is the sturdy chassis, smooth trackpad, and high resolution display. Dell is getting close, but it's not quite there.
      i take my acer aspire with 4k display, keyboard backlight, sturdy flat keys, i7, gtx 9xxx 16gb ddr4, 256GB ssd, precision touchpad, mu-mimo wifi anyday over any apple crap. they could do with better cooling design though.
      Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 08 June 2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Dell is getting close, but it's not quite there.
        Very close. I would really love to get my hands on a XPS 15 with Radeon graphics instead of their useless Nvidia card. Even a Ryzen APU would be enough, but only if AMD implements Thunderbolt, otherwise they're out of the games for me.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Dell is getting close, but it's not quite there.
          Very close. I would really love to be able to buy an XPS 15 with a Radeon graphics card instead of their useless Nvidia one. Even a Ryzen APU would good enough, but only if AMD decides to implement Thunderbolt support (which should be free as of now), otherwise they're out of the games for me.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I sure didn't see this benchmark coming. I guess someone must have given a Mac Mini to Michael, and he figured he should have a use for it.

Apple has good quality input devices,..
            Have you seen those flat wireless Apple mice? They're terrible. I feel like my father is mistreating his employees by having them use that mouse at work.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Very close. I would really love to be able to buy an XPS 15 with a Radeon graphics card instead of their useless Nvidia one. Even a Ryzen APU would good enough, but only if AMD decides to implement Thunderbolt support (which should be free as of now), otherwise they're out of the games for me.
              What's the problem with the nvidia card?
              Genuinely curious, I have an xps 15 with nvidia, but haven't had use for it yet, so the drivers are not installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Gecko View Post
                I sure didn't see this benchmark coming. I guess someone must have given a Mac Mini to Michael, and he figured he should have a use for it.

Have you seen those flat wireless Apple mice? They're terrible. I feel like my father is mistreating his employees by having them use that mouse at work.
                Fair enough, let me say what I really mean: they have the best touch devices (trackpads and touchscreens). Everything else is actually total shit, I just forgot because I haven't used it in so long. Man, the Magic mouse is an ergonomic nightmare, and susceptible to almost every kind of laser mouse problem possible. And the slip bearings on the bottom aren't slippery enough. Truly awful mice and keyboards.

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
                  Are there any games that both a) have updated Linux builds and b) support Metal on OSX? That might be the better comparison these days, because Apple is content to let OpenGL stagnate, and whether Metal is used vs. OpenGL isn't usually relevant to end users on a Mac...
                  You fail to understand the point of the exercise. The goal is not to test how well AR/VR/graphics work on Apple HW, or to examine the quality of new APIs, or anything like that.
                  The goal is to WHINE about how awful Apple is because because because...
                  Finding something that clearly doesn't work well and is never going to is the precise POINT of this sort of article.
                  Who wants to learn about exactly HOW Apple are approaching the API problems of new fields like VR or AR or ML, or the new ideas they have utilized for pre-existing fields like 3D (in SceneKit, SpriteKit, and Layers) when they can complain about pointless crap like support for APIs from the 90s? The former requires a functioning brain, the latter only a functioning mouth.

The next in the series will be "How well does a Mac run Fortran programs? The answer will shock you!"

Comment

Originally posted by name99 View Post

when they can complain about pointless crap like support for APIs from the 90s? The former requires a functioning brain, the latter only a functioning mouth.
                    This old API is more widely used than metal which becomes obsolete. What a crap. Oh, and crapple doesn't support Vulkan.

The next in the series will be "How well does a Mac run Fortran programs? The answer will shock you!"
                    It's not a surprise this shit OS runs everything slow. It has terrible kernel, graphics support and file system. It lives, because of propaganda and third party programs. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                    X