Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel OpenGL Performance On macOS 10.12 vs. Clear Linux, Ubuntu

Phoronix: Intel OpenGL Performance On macOS 10.12 vs. Clear Linux, Ubuntu

In addition to having some fresh Radeon Linux vs. Windows GPU driver numbers as an added bonus as we celebrate Phoronix's 13th birthday this week are some fresh macOS vs. Linux OpenGL performance figures.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any games that both a) have updated Linux builds and b) support Metal on OSX? That might be the better comparison these days, because Apple is content to let OpenGL stagnate, and whether Metal is used vs. OpenGL isn't usually relevant to end users on a Mac...

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
      Are there any games that both a) have updated Linux builds and b) support Metal on OSX? That might be the better comparison these days, because Apple is content to let OpenGL stagnate, and whether Metal is used vs. OpenGL isn't usually relevant to end users on a Mac...
      With Feral's ports like Warhammer and then DoW3 there is Metal and then OpenGL and Vulkan on Linux.... Working on getting my hands temporarily at least back on a newer MacBook to be able to do such tests. This Haswell system really can't handle much.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

after so many years of apple not providing opengl maintenance this is expected. And it can only just keep going worse.

Comment

That seems for several years now, regardless Linux can't beat macOS on steam survey, it does not come even close. So clearly thing is not about performance, maybe it is about number of games, maybe Superman, maybe Popeye, maybe...

He, he, maybe it would happen once it is not called Linux

Comment

I love my Macs, but the OpenGL support is terrible. OpenGL 4.2 if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              That seems for several years now, regardless Linux can't beat macOS on steam survey, it does not come even close. So clearly thing is not about performance, maybe it is about number of games, maybe Superman, maybe Popeye, maybe...

He, he, maybe it would happen once it is not called Linux
              Maybe it's about marketing . Personally I simply don't get why would anyone buy anyting Apple related, but maybe I am missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
                Maybe it's about marketing . Personally I simply don't get why would anyone buy anyting Apple related, but maybe I am missing something.
                Apple has good quality input devices, sturdy chassis, high resolution displays (still uncommon from other PC manufacturers), and a foolproof out-of-the-box experience. The OS is a mixed bag: terrible IPC performance (noticeable impact on usability), slow graphics drivers (noticeable impact on usability), very poorly maintained window manager which is rife with new bugs every release, no straightforward way to do things like lock the screen without closing the lid. On the flip side, a lot of their developer tools are quite powerful, specifically CoreImage, CoreAudio, Accelerate Framework... but none of these things are really killer features which one must have on their operating system. Application sandboxing is okay on OS X.

Back to hardware, though. I probably would have used a MacBook Pro if Apple would upstream and maintain Linux drivers for all the components in them; that is, until their recent hardware revision which has ultra-shallow key travel and some sort of touch bar where the F keys are supposed to be.

Basically all I really miss out on is the sturdy chassis, smooth trackpad, and high resolution display. Dell is getting close, but it's not quite there.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  The OS is a mixed bag: terrible IPC performance (noticeable impact on usability), slow graphics drivers (noticeable impact on usability), very poorly maintained window manager which is rife with new bugs every release, no straightforward way to do things like lock the screen without closing the lid. On the flip side, a lot of their developer tools are quite powerful, specifically CoreImage, CoreAudio, Accelerate Framework... but none of these things are really killer features which one must have on their operating system. Application sandboxing is okay on OS X.
                  The OS uses too much RAM and apps with their fancy sandboxing use tons of disk space compared to Linux. For Linux, 256-512 GB of SSD is enough for a notebook, but on OS X you can easily run out of disk space. Just install all the basic apps and on Linux you rarely need more than 10 GB. On Mac, 20-25 GB is typical. I have a Macbook Pro for editing photos. Lightroom can't store its catalogs on a NFS/CIFS share so the disk is soon full of catalogs and their thumbnails and backups. Oh and it's terribly slow. It's not hard to run into the spinning color palette icon every single day while it's 'processing'. OTOH, there are several reasons why Linux just won't do the job.

Comment

I was tempted to buy a Mac Laptop but only until I saw a discounted Acer Aspire S13 at ~500.-. Dualbooting Ubuntu 17.04 everything works out of the box with enough power even for apps like X-Plane. The hardware also is excellent with a sturdy chassis, HD display but being lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                    X