Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Intel Optane Memory On Linux

Phoronix: Trying Out Intel Optane Memory On Linux

Here are some of my initial tests of trying out an Intel Optane memory module under Ubuntu Linux with a Kabylake system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so the reason for not making XDDs is the terrible random write performance?

Comment

So it is 3 times more expensive and a dozen percent faster to 50 percent slower... Not a great deal, I would say.

Comment

I'm hoping future iterations will be much better than this. Otherwise there's no point.

Comment

not a good deal. I'll buy regular SSD instead.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
            So it is 3 times more expensive and a dozen percent faster to 50 percent slower... Not a great deal, I would say.
            It's worse than that. The 950 PRO its compared against is EOL. When compared to a latest model NVMe SSD, the intel Optane is slower is every test. Buy an Optane if your new Kaby Lake system is simply too fast, and you yearn for the slower paced easy going data speeds of yesteryear. Otherwise, Optane is DOA.

Comment

Looks like Charlie was right. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I'm hoping future iterations will be much better than this. Otherwise there's no point.
                Heh, how much were first intel ssds costing? Sure $/GB have to come down, before this tech is really ready for consumer space. Now it's just kind of expensive tech demo.

But yeah, wait for Crucial drives, their products are more for consumers. It will be interesting to see how micron fares on 3D xpoint, which they have branded QuantX.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

Heh, how much were first intel ssds costing? Sure $/GB have to come down, before this tech is really ready for consumer space. Now it's just kind of expensive tech demo.

But yeah, wait for Crucial drives, their products are more for consumers. It will be interesting to see how micron fares on 3D xpoint, which they have branded QuantX.
                  I know. At the same time, I can't stop thinking that if something better was just around the corner intel wouldn't have released xpoint in this form. There must be some teething problems that aren't solved yet. But hopefully they will be.

Comment

Umm, guys, this drive is 16gb in size. The potential performance is greatly hindered due to that. Of course 256gb of that would cost a fortune, but you cannot really compare performance of the underlying technology with such a test.

Comment

Working...
                    X