Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Clear Linux Switches Over To GCC 7 Compiler

Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux Switches Over To GCC 7 Compiler

Just two days ago GCC 7.1 was released as the first stable release of GCC 7 as the annual update to this GNU code compiler. If you are looking for a Linux rolling-release distribution already using GCC 7 by default, Intel's open-source Clear Linux appears to be one of the first.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you are looking for a Linux rolling-release distribution already using GCC 7 by default, Intel's open-source Clear Linux appears to be one of the first.
    Well, GCC 7 is default in Debian experimental since november 2016.

Comment

I think, this is crazy. This is the first 7-release which surely has regressions and bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        I think, this is crazy. This is the first 7-release which surely has regressions and bugs.
        Actually it crazy just because it works better. Lots of stuff that used to compile but shouldn't have are now caught by GCC 7. Somewhat annoying but I have been somewhat aghast by some of the things it has turned up. There are things that should not have compiled...

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Probably about thousand bugs less since that amount was resolved with this point:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist...bug_id&limit=0

Which in turn is not everything of course Without at least couple thousands bugs fixed, we can't claim it is stronk compiler version
          Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to install ClearLinux on my laptop. The installer requires a network connection, but doesn't accept "Killer" Ethernet or even Intel Wifi.

Comment

Usb tethered Android phone? Which in turn has been connected to WiFi. You'll get 'Ethernet' connection out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Actually it crazy just because it works better. Lots of stuff that used to compile but shouldn't have are now caught by GCC 7. Somewhat annoying but I have been somewhat aghast by some of the things it has turned up. There are things that should not have compiled...
                Software should only be allowed to released when it passes compilation with "-Werror -Wall -pedantic" in the cflags

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Software should only be allowed to released when it passes compilation with "-Werror -Wall -pedantic" in the cflags
                  You forgot -Wextra. That one is the one that most often bites in new compiler updates. In gcc 7 -Wextra enabled warnings on uncommented implicit fall-throughs in switches. Which are everywhere if you haven't had a policy of marking them in a particular way that gcc 7 recognizes.

Comment

I finished recompiling my Gentoo system with GCC 7.1, seemed to take longer than with GCC 6.3. Only had to switch a few packages away from using LTO. One of which I think was due to a change in binutils. Two other failures possibly related to gentoos sandbox. Message is currently failing since an anvil allocator change made this morning.

Wine seems to be misbehaving, I'll try again with O2 and see if it works any better

Overall good impression of GCC 7.1 not as many broken packages as usual for a major version upgrade

Comment

Working...
                    X