No announcement yet.

Intel Optane Memory Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Anandtech test shows that optane doesn't support power saving, what I find dissapointing.
    Also, it's expensive.
    But, I could imagine buying it as the memory for the operating system for a home server.
    Small and fast ssds do not exist. 32GB would certainly be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

The F-word isn't exactly acceptable in all workplaces...
      who wants to work in a place, where even this word is forbidden....

Comment

This is where optane might shine...

The first independent (well, almost) test of the Intel Optane SSD is out and by the looks of it the new memory standard has passed with flying colors. If this review is anything to go by, then the memory type is definitely game changing, although not entirely in the manner most of us thought it […]

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
          who wants to work in a place, where even this word is forbidden....
          Heh, the man that can be so picky about his job/workplace without losing good-paying jobs is a very fortunate man indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
            This is where optane might shine...

http://wccftech.com/intel-3d-xpoint-...x-performance/
            Neat. Please link the actual source, "bstech" site is unreliable at best. Tom's hardware is at least believable.

Results are... interesting. It's basically pwning everything else with a very wide margin on random access and real life tests while staying average on sequential access. Sounds like a Mission Accomplished.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting one for a scratch/temp drive as they're more durable than flash based ssd's apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                The Anandtech test shows that optane doesn't support power saving, what I find dissapointing.
                Also, it's expensive.
                And it breaks down within the day. At least it did for Anandtech.
                Originally posted by mibo View Post
                But, I could imagine buying it as the memory for the operating system for a home server.
                Small and fast ssds do not exist. 32GB would certainly be enough.
                Except you can't because this is not a drive. It's a drive cache.

I'm thinking fab issues. Maybe when they can be put behind we'll the actual product. Because a non volatile cache would be meh at best.

Comment

Optane is a block device. If it's a drive, or drive cache is a question of settings.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    The initial 16Gb and 36Gb modules are in M.2 format, require a Kaby Lake or newer CPU and Windows 10 to run the software and driver.
                    Unless it's not exposed as NVMe, there is no reason it shouldn't work without it. Just the magic caching thing which they implemented for Win 10 + Kaby Lake only probably won't work, but there is bcache... This may be interesting for things like the innodb double write buffer and undo logs for MySQL or as L2ARC for ZFS with spinning rust, or perhaps as a journal device for ceph diskstore.

Comment

No power-save functions!

Comment

Working...
                      X