• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    ????? It's not NSFW material.
    you obviously offended somebodies believes , NSFW is so yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      ????? It's not NSFW material.
      The F-word isn't exactly acceptable in all workplaces...

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
        Such a picture should have never been posted, and if posted it shouldn't have been displayed to the public without hiding it behind a warning message.
        We're all adults here, and I find a site without censorship quite refreshing. So long as it doesn't involve personal attacks or aspersions, I say let the real talk roll

Comment

But: How does it work?
          "An Intel spokesperson categorically denied that it was a phase-change memory process or a memristor technology. Spin-transfer torque was also dismissed. Whatever it is, Intel and Micron have been developing it for about ten years, and together as a joint venture since 2012." - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...ron_3d_xpoint/

I'm really curious, and can hardly wait until somebody cuts such a piece apart to study its composition and layout...

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
            But: How does it work?
            "An Intel spokesperson categorically denied that it was a phase-change memory process or a memristor technology. Spin-transfer torque was also dismissed. Whatever it is, Intel and Micron have been developing it for about ten years, and together as a joint venture since 2012." - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...ron_3d_xpoint/

I'm really curious, and can hardly wait until somebody cuts such a piece apart to study its composition and layout...
            Pixie dust. Obviously.

Comment

I get the feeling this is a marketing-driven product that puts together a SSD and something like bcache. And you're basically paying for the software more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                The F-word isn't exactly acceptable in all workplaces...
                Fair point. I'll restrict myself to non-4-letter-word stuff then.

Comment

Originally posted by edgmnt View Post
                  I get the feeling this is a marketing-driven product that puts together a SSD and something like bcache. And you're basically paying for the software more than anything.
                  It's not a feeling, it's what this thing really is. A M.2 version of their Turbo Memory thing that was on miniPcie (and sucked big way) http://www.dell.com/support/article/...memory?lang=EN

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    Wow, after all the hype this is incredibly disappointing.
                    There certainly was a lot of hype around this. If you look at the timing of it, all the Optane hype was landing exactly as AMD was launching Ryzen. Pretty sure intel was over-hyping this mediocre stop-gap product in an attempt to steal some headlines away from AMD. As TheBlackCat said, this is the lame old Intel Turbo Memory concept, recycled for 2017. Yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by edgmnt View Post
                      With such little amount of actual information on the Intel website, this sadly seems to be plausible... They even write "How is IntelĀ® Optaneā„¢ memory different from other NAND caching and caching solutions?" ( http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...emory-faq.html ), a wording that pretty much implies that Optane actually is a type of NAND caching solution...
                      Still, older marketing material hinted towards some material-science related breakthrough - enough to get me (a physicist) curious about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X