Intel Ivy Bridge Gets OpenGL 4.2 On Mesa 17.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
    It's great that Ivy Bridge got such support (I own such CPU myself), but personally I would like to be finally able to play Dying Light on my Radeon RX 470 again (lat time it was still in fglrx times), it still fails to run on mesa 17.0 (dies after splash screen), while many other games started working out of the box (not just Feral games)... I wonder what's wrong there, they try to use something from outside OpenGL 4.5 or something else?
    Apparently Dying Light requires support for compatibility profiles, which Mesa doesn't support.

AFAIK, adding support for comp. profiles to Mesa would be quite a task. I guess AMD suggests people requiring compatibility profiles to use AMDGPU-PRO, which supports them.

Comment

@FishPls, damn, I was afraid that it was that one...
      I wonder why they used it in the first place, they didn't believe that mesa will evolve THAT quickly?
      Proprietary drivers from AMD are not really a viable option (yet, but maybe they will never be useful on typical desktop), since not every distribution even tries to package them, because it doesn't make much sense with mesa 17.0 or newer around...
      Probably the only hope is that they will for some reason decide to patch game itself, but I guess that this could happen only if they would decide to go for Vulkan.

Comment

That's nice, although now that I'm using the radeonSI drivers I don't need it anymore

Comment

@Staffan, it surely has one use case, usable fallback in case of hardware failure. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
            "For those still using Intel "Ivy Bridge" class processors" Damn you make me feel old Michael
            yeah, can we please use less "planned obsolescence" wording? It's not that newer Intel CPUs are much faster anyways, …

Comment

@rene, true, I've checked current offerings yesterday and Intel has nothing interesting, for me the only noticeable improvement since IB is AVX.
              Right now I'm even considering Ryzen (or next revision) for new PC (I'm planning upgrade next year, after five years on current platform), even 1700 sounds like a great improvement over 3770K.
              Unless Intel will do something spectacular, or at least not overpriced...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                For those still using Intel "Ivy Bridge" class processors
                Nah, not many Ivy users around. Everyone is still on Sandy Bridge, what with the borderline non-existent performance improvements in CPUs the last 6 years or so ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
                  @FishPls, damn, I was afraid that it was that one...
                  I wonder why they used it in the first place, they didn't believe that mesa will evolve THAT quickly?
                  Proprietary drivers from AMD are not really a viable option (yet, but maybe they will never be useful on typical desktop), since not every distribution even tries to package them, because it doesn't make much sense with mesa 17.0 or newer around...
                  Probably the only hope is that they will for some reason decide to patch game itself, but I guess that this could happen only if they would decide to go for Vulkan.
                  I don't think so. Dying Light was completed. Developing has been completed. Probably no more updates anymore.

Port for Linux and OpenGL render for Dying Light as well as Dead Island and Dead Island Definitive Edition and Dead Island: Riptide Definitive Edition was made by only two developers. They are jung students so they are just learning and working in this time for Techland. From what I've heard, one of them is not even working there. In addition, when the Dying Light port was being run, Mesa was in its infancy, and gaining OpenGL 4.0 was still a futuristic future. In addition, the performance very limped.
                  In addition, maintaining three versions of render for two young guys who did so in their free time was not a priority. As far as I know, the AAA game that needs to be moved from the ground up to Linux and OpenGL is more difficult to enforce with Mesa. It is easier with proprietary Nvidia and AMD drivers, because when writing code for them, the official specification is used, with only minor changes for each platform. On the other hand, for the mesa, you have to create a separate branch, which often requires a lot of changes, which makes it necessary to create a separate implementation - often.

So I think, if mesa devs not change its policy, about dying light you can forget.

Comment

@xpris, that sucks, but AFAIR when they released that port mesa already reached 4.0 or was close to, at least for Intel, it's not THAT old game.
                    But yeah, hoping that mesa developers will start working on it is the most feasible solution (they already stopped talking that there is no way that they will work on that, so there is some hoper for 2018 / 2019 :-D).
                    I guess that I'll have to wait for AMDGPU-Pro or invest in Windows licence and dual boot, since I still have a lot of games without ports in my library, more than half of them, and I haven't seen any new ports for months now...

Comment

Great to see this milestone accomplished for Intel Ivy Bridge, albeit don't expect to play too many GL4 Linux games with Ivy Bridge era graphics.
                      It's still probably faster than software rasterizers though...

Comment

Working...
                      X