Intel Prepares For Mainline GVT-g Graphics Virtualization Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    PCI passthrough isn't generally a viable option for graphics use, due to GART issues. Only a handful of GPUs can get around this, and only programs like Xen and ESXi seem to specifically support GPU passthrough, both of which are hypervisors.
    Also KVM (actually the best for passthrough, works with consumer cards too, unlike Xen), and being an hypervisor does not mean the host can't be a normal desktop OS. KVM or Xen can be run from a normal desktop host system. Also Hyper-V (on WIndows hosts).

ESXi is only shipped as standalone bare-metal system, but that's their own choice, not a limitation of hypervisors.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      PCIe passthrough alone is pointless on a Optimus machine as the NVIDIA GPU is not connected to output ports (either to screen or to external ports).
      Couldn't you use some remote desktop from host to client to bypass that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Couldn't you use some remote desktop from host to client to bypass that problem?
        Yes, it will work, but you have to install and then configure the guest for allowing remote desktop (Windows remote desktop is disabled by default for obvious reasons), and you can't do that blind.
        Which means you need to give the VM an emulated GPU for the sake of installing and configuring it with a GUI, then you also have the GPU passthrough configuration.

I don't know if remote desktop software will run decently enough for gaming or not, though as I never really felt like doing something like that.

Hm, btw, you could also use Steam's streaming to stream games from the VM to the host, that will likely work decently as it's its main purpose.

Comment

PCI passthrough isn't generally a viable option for graphics use, due to GART issues. Only a handful of GPUs can get around this
          What are these GART issues? First time hearing about it, I and many others at r/VFIO run AMD/NVIDIA cards via passthrough just fine for a good while now. Bumblebee btw doesn't do anything special to improve graphics abilities. If you run those Virtualbox or VMWare on the NVIDIA driver without bumblebee it'd be slightly better avoiding the overhead from the extra x server. It's performance will not compare to qemu/kvm VMs with the GPU passed through.

Comment

nenavidia bans pastrough of GeFOrce. Only radeons are supported. I dont know what are GART issues either.

Comment

Any knows if I can I use GVT on machine with nVidia + Intel GPU? (Pass the Intel GPU to VMs, leaving the nVidia GPU for the host)?

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                What are these GART issues? First time hearing about it, I and many others at r/VFIO run AMD/NVIDIA cards via passthrough just fine for a good while now. Bumblebee btw doesn't do anything special to improve graphics abilities. If you run those Virtualbox or VMWare on the NVIDIA driver without bumblebee it'd be slightly better avoiding the overhead from the extra x server. It's performance will not compare to qemu/kvm VMs with the GPU passed through.
                Here's one example of GART issues:

It's tricky - some programs are limited by GART, some are hardware limited (where only a select few GPUs can be passthroughed), some are hypervisors, and others are just plain user-unfriendly. Obviously, GPU passthrough in general is entirely limited by CPU and chipset capabilities.

It has been a while since I've checked out any of this. Maybe something like VMWare Fusion can passthrough any GPU model, for example.

Comment

Here's one example of GART issues:

It's tricky - some programs are limited by GART, some are hardware limited (where only a select few GPUs can be passthroughed), some are hypervisors, and others are just plain user-unfriendly. Obviously, GPU passthrough in general is entirely limited by CPU and chipset capabilities.

It has been a while since I've checked out any of this. Maybe something like VMWare Fusion can passthrough any GPU model, for example.
                  The kernel they mention is from 2009. They talk about AGP cards. I am pretty sure these problems aren't anything to worry about with cards from the last few years. Especially the ones that have GOP/UEFI ROMS. This is not a problem you ever see on r/VFIO which is a community mostly focused on QEMU/KVM and GPU passthrough. VMWare has supported similar with ESXi I think, I don't know about their other products I don't use any of them. I wasn't aware VirtualBox had supported this(to a certain degree).

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
                    nenavidia bans pastrough of GeFOrce. Only radeons are supported. I dont know what are GART issues either.
                    NVIDIA works fine, you add two lines to config to workaround the VM detection.

Comment

On laptops? With Optimus? I dont think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X