Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Open-Source Driver Stack Now OpenGL 4.5 Certified, Complements Vulkan & GLES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
    This is a *huge* deal for the graphics subsystem of modern GNU/Linux ! All things considered, graphics is now 'fixed' on Linux, next up fixup the audio sub/eco-system(s) so it is competitive at the professional level :|
    Remember they days where some apps would only run on OSS and others in ALSA? We also had ARTS yuck! For the average user graphics and audio are "fixed", for professionals neither are "fixed". https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...hat_use_linux/

Comment

Funny certification, when someone referring to rc kernel as an OS

I guess that was Clear Linux, but who knows when it is not clear

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Remember they days where some apps would only run on OSS and others in ALSA? We also had ARTS yuck! For the average user graphics and audio are "fixed", for professionals neither are "fixed". https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...hat_use_linux/
        very amusing but when I say 'professional' I don't mean people playing computer games despite some nations considering that as a profession -_-

wayland+latest mesa the graphics stack is in pretty darn good shape these days if you are on either Intel or AMD hw. I remember f**ing about with custom modelines hoping not to cook my CRT monitor with resolutions you could count up to with your newborn as a numeric song.

pulseaudio works for the average joe but its got to go, its garbage for professional audio, jack needs to be made user friendly and more integrated into the eco-system and improved not to disrupt average joe.

Comment

very amusing but when I say 'professional' I don't mean people playing computer games despite some nations considering that as a profession -_-
          How is competitive computer games different from other competitive games?

Professional
          Adjective - Engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur. "a professional boxer"
          Noun - A person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime: "his first season as a professional"

The Dota 2 International total prize pool was $20,770,460 USD for 2016 Tournament with 5.8 million spectators. Just because you don't need a formal education to take part does not mean that any person out there can achieve wat the professional players are doing.

wayland+latest mesa the graphics stack is in pretty darn good shape these days if you are on either Intel or AMD hw. I remember f**ing about with custom modelines hoping not to cook my CRT monitor with resolutions you could count up to with your newborn as a numeric song.

pulseaudio works for the average joe but its got to go, its garbage for professional audio, jack needs to be made user friendly and more integrated into the eco-system and improved not to disrupt average joe.
          Your answer seems biased to me. I'll repeat what I have already said on a different form, graphics stack has grown a lot and is in a good working state. It has a good foundation opposed to the audio spaghetti that is in place on most distributions. I am able to use most 3D rendering applications on a personal level using my Intel® HD Graphics 4000, Radeon™ RX 480 or NVIDIA Maxwell™ GeForce GTX 970M. Mesa is not competitive on a professional level. If you choose to ignore professional gaming, maybe some examples of "professionals" using mesa to create commercial CGI could help?

Comment

Although among the least popular DE's, we have Trinity Desktop Environment which still uses ARTS. So it's not "we had" but "we have".

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Although among the least popular DE's, we have Trinity Desktop Environment which still uses ARTS. So it's not "we had" but "we have".
              Honestly, I still miss the look and feel of KDE3 and most of the apps. ARTS on the other hand is like the antagonist at the end of a horror movie!

Comment

Hear hear. I distinctly remember reading the modeline howto to create my own modelines. Those were the days.

Pulseaudio works reasonably well nowadays, it has the functionality people nowadays want. The main problem with it is the high latency.

Comment

Congratulations to the Intel guys!

Comment

> audio sub/eco-system(s) so it is competitive at the professional level

About pros that use Linux for audio production: Dave Phillips wrote some articles

https://www.linuxjournal.com/users/dave-phillips

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/plug-and-fender-mustang

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8354

https://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000086

Comment

Honestly, I still miss the look and feel of KDE3 and most of the apps. ARTS on the other hand is like the antagonist at the end of a horror movie!
                      Then you really should give Trinity a try. It looks and feels like KDE3 because it's a continuation of KDE3 (just like Mate is a continuation of GNOME 2) and it's extremely fast and super stable You can install it easily on Arch using the unofficial repository or, if you want an out-of-the-box experience, try Q4OS (which uses Trinity by default and is based on Debian Stable).

Comment

Working...
                      X