Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Celeron G3930 On Linux: A Dual-Core Kabylake CPU For $40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Celeron G3930 On Linux: A Dual-Core Kabylake CPU For $40

    Phoronix: Intel Celeron G3930 On Linux: A Dual-Core Kabylake CPU For $40

    Earlier this week we posted Linux benchmarks of the Intel Pentium G4600 as a 3.6GHz processor for around $90 USD. It was an interesting processor for the value, but if your wallet is tighter, the Celeron G3930 is selling for about $40 as a dual-core sub-3GHz Kabylake processor. Here are those test results.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24111

  • #2
    I have always wondered why Intel produces so many different processors, particularly these worthless underperformers.
    Why not just focus on a line of processors that performs well? When the price difference between an underperformer
    and one that is adequate is very little why would anyone want something that is impractical.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the interesting article. How does this processor compare with e.g. an Athlon 5350 in terms of graphics performance?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
        I have always wondered why Intel produces so many different processors, particularly these worthless underperformers.
        You know what this celeron would be called if it were an AMD part? The RyZen 2018 dual-core model.

        Comment


        • #5
          I always wonder why Michael benchmarks those Celeron and Pentium processors without overclocking them. Obviously that's the way to go: Reasonable performance for low prices.

          It's the same for the K-series: You buy them for the sake of OC, not for foolish stock-clocks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Rather than comparing these low end processors with other recent higher end processors your should compare them with core 2 duo/quad, initial core i cpus and other older parts, since these cheap cpus make more sense for folks running older systems that have been delaying their upgrades for a long time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
              Rather than comparing these low end processors with other recent higher end processors your should compare them with core 2 duo/quad, initial core i cpus and other older parts, since these cheap cpus make more sense for folks running older systems that have been delaying their upgrades for a long time.
              Good point.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
                I always wonder why Michael benchmarks those Celeron and Pentium processors without overclocking them.
                The last CPU I overclocked was an Athlon XP 2400+ (when they were new), and even then I just overclocked the FSB but kept the final CPU frequency the same. So, count me in as a person that appreciates these results as they are.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  You know what this celeron would be called if it were an AMD part? The RyZen 2018 dual-core model.
                  Sadly, yes. I saw a review of one of the current "high end" AMD chips recently, and while the reviewer tried to put a spin on it in terms of unbeatable price, the fact remains that the benchmarks showed it struggling to compete with the Intel i3 range, much less the i5 or i7. *Maybe* Zen will turn that around... but I'm not putting money on it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
                    I always wonder why Michael benchmarks those Celeron and Pentium processors without overclocking them.
                    OC'ing doesn't seem to be Michael's focus. Maybe next year, Intel will put out a 20th Anniversary Celeron with unlocked multiplier.

                    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                    You know what this celeron would be called if it were an AMD part? The RyZen 2018 dual-core model.
                    What are you talking about? Was this a serious remark or just another lame attempt at being an Intel fanboy thinly-veiled with "humor"?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X