Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Sends In Final Batch Of DRM Features For Linux 4.11: DP MST Audio, HuC Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends In Final Batch Of DRM Features For Linux 4.11: DP MST Audio, HuC Firmware

Phoronix: Intel Sends In Final Batch Of DRM Features For Linux 4.11: DP MST, HuC Firmware

Daniel Vetter, the i915 DRM kernel maintainer from Intel's Open-Source Technology Center, has announced their final set of feature changes to be queued in DRM-Next for the Linux 4.11 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Two noticable items though include DP MST (DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport) support"

Applying a bit of critical thinking leads one to conclude that what Daniel wrote in the pull request was nonsense. We've had MST support for quite a while, though you can argue whether it really counts as support when it's equally likely to crash your kernel as it is to light up your display. Anyways, what Daniel really meant was DP MST *audio* support.

Comment

Originally posted by syrjala View Post
      "Two noticable items though include DP MST (DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport) support"

Applying a bit of critical thinking leads one to conclude that what Daniel wrote in the pull request was nonsense. We've had MST support for quite a while, though you can argue whether it really counts as support when it's equally likely to crash your kernel as it is to light up your display. Anyways, what Daniel really meant was DP MST *audio* support.
      Okay, thought so, as the changes only mentioned audio-related and thought I recalled DP MST being mainline for i915 for a while, but with Daniel just mentioning DP MST support, was a bit confused. Will clarify in article.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by syrjala View Post
        though you can argue whether it really counts as support when it's equally likely to crash your kernel as it is to light up your display.
        DP-MST support is *terrible*, at least with Broadwell. I reported bugs upstream becuase it makes KDE Plasma unusable but they simply got ignored.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I and my coworkers have had reasonable success with DP-MST with our haswell laptop + docking stations, but admittedly, that's haswell, and it only really started working well in kernel 4.7/4.8.

Comment

Working...
          X