Intel Kabylake: Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    I'm a Windows guy, but even I do think that these benchmarks are ridicuolous. Of course Windows will reign supreme right after release. Give Linux a few months and the gap will be much narrower.
    Um.. Nope. Search for Ivy / Haswell windows 10 vs linux opengl performance. There, you few months (or years). Linux is and as always, lose.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Um.. Nope. Search for Ivy / Haswell windows 10 vs linux opengl performance. There, you few months (or years). Linux is and as always, lose.
      It's true when comes to Intel. With nvidia it can be different.

Comment

But do you think the windows time will use that time for a nap? They learned that they need to be more competitive to continue to rule the market.

Comment

Interesting results. Also hope the upcoming Windows vs. Linux tests will allow directly comparing the 4 datapoints AMD/Linux, AMD/Windows, NVidia/Linux and NVidia/Windows. And even better if, as a reference, it'll also compare the pure-CPU performance on the measured platforms (which should be close, but in practice isn't exactly the same due to a variety of influences).

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
            Normally I'd agree with you but I think anarki2 has a point this time around. Only until 2017 has Intel actually caught up with the main OpenGL spec for multiple GPUs. They're still cranking away at other extensions, but they're slowly running out of things to get done. At this point, Ivy Bridge [I think] users have more OpenGL compatibility under Linux than they do in Windows. With less GL specs to worry about, the Intel Linux devs will/should soon focus more on performance improvements, something they probably never really prioritized over the years.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 January 2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Actually. I remember back in the day when my laptop couldn't run oblivion in wine, and steam on Linux didn't exist. Nowadays, you have support for OpenGL 4.5 on most arches (at 2fps to be sure, but that's not linux fault). My iMac has an okay gpu but OS X only supports OpenGL 4.1. That isn't enough for a lot of modern games at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

It's true when comes to Intel. With nvidia it can be different.
                When using older card. We must use nvidia binary for newer card for performance parity with windows. But yes, for driver, nvidia still the best.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Normally I'd agree with you but I think anarki2 has a point this time around. Only until 2017 has Intel actually caught up with the main OpenGL spec for multiple GPUs. They're still cranking away at other extensions, but they're slowly running out of things to get done. At this point, Ivy Bridge [I think] users have more OpenGL compatibility under Linux than they do in Windows. With less GL specs to worry about, the Intel Linux devs will/should soon focus more on performance improvements, something they probably never really prioritized over the years.
                  I too, hope so. It will be a big win for linux user with intel inside.

Comment

Now than they dont have to worry about supporting more new opengl versions, they can focus on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by TomPollok View Post
                      But do you think the windows time will use that time for a nap? They learned that they need to be more competitive to continue to rule the market.
                      Like most of the Windows drivers Intel driver isn't developed by Microsoft, but Intel. So, it's not Windows developers improving Windows performance in graphics, but third party members.

Comment

Working...
                      X