Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Mesa Driver Set To Flip On OpenGL 4.5 For Haswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel's Mesa Driver Set To Flip On OpenGL 4.5 For Haswell

    Phoronix: Intel's Mesa Driver Set To Flip On OpenGL 4.5 For Haswell

    It was just two weeks ago that Intel's Mesa driver finally crossed the threshold with Haswell for supporting OpenGL 4.0 and then last week OpenGL 4.2 was crossed for this older generation of Intel graphics hardware. Now, it looks like OpenGL 4.5 will be enabled for Haswell with the i965 Mesa driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...enGL-4.5-Patch

  • #2
    Cool now all we need is for the OpenGL 4.0 for Ivy Bridge to land and then Mesa will support a higher OpenGL versions then the Windows driver, for all Intel chips (not counting PowerVR based chips).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      Cool now all we need is for the OpenGL 4.0 for Ivy Bridge to land and then Mesa will support a higher OpenGL versions then the Windows driver, for all Intel chips (not counting PowerVR based chips).
      Funnily enough, the HD3000 iGPU supports OpenGL 3.3 under Linux, while it "only" goes up to 3.1 under Windows. So, not by much, but still. :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Great, now we just need the OpenGL extensions that have come after 4.5, and OpenCL and Vulkan.

        Comment


        • #5
          Kind of funny, just a week or two after I complained that Intel has a knack for neglecting previous-gen chips, suddenly Haswell gets a ton of attention and is mostly up-to-spec. I'm not feeling hopeful for Ivy Bridge users, but its nice knowing Intel is still paying attention to their pre-DDR4 products.

          As much as I personally don't care about OGL 4.x support for Intel GPUs (there isn't much 4.x software out there that these GPUs could handle smoothly), it is comforting that they're getting this stuff out of the way, since that means their attention can be drawn toward performance improvements.

          The way I see it, Intel fits as a good example of how open source can be as competitive as possible in regards to industry compliance and feature completion. Meanwhile, AMD seems like a good fit for how much open source can be competitive in performance. Both companies still have work to do but they're both heading in a good direction.

          Comment


          • #6
            Intel has nothing to do with these patches. It's Igalia to thank, see:https://github.com/Igalia/mesa

            Comment


            • #7
              schmidtbag, I've rebased and applied the IVB patches to mesa git from Igalia's latest code and it's working fine with OpenGL4.2 for what I've tried. Patches are in my gentoo-gpu overlay.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Kind of funny, just a week or two after I complained that Intel has a knack for neglecting previous-gen chips, suddenly Haswell gets a ton of attention and is mostly up-to-spec. I'm not feeling hopeful for Ivy Bridge users, but its nice knowing Intel is still paying attention to their pre-DDR4 products.

                [...]
                This wasn't as suddenly as you think Some patches of the patch series are a year old.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Kind of funny, just a week or two after I complained that Intel has a knack for neglecting previous-gen chips, suddenly Haswell gets a ton of attention
                  Yep, Intel is afraid of you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nrndda View Post
                    Intel has nothing to do with these patches. It's Igalia to thank, see:https://github.com/Igalia/mesa
                    probaly intel pay them to complete old gen chips

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X