No announcement yet.

Kaby Lake HD Graphics 630 Appear To Be Coming Up Short On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is more to see in those benchmarks than just the KBL short commings. Did anyone notice the ridiculously high difference in performance between the i7-4770K and i7-4790K in some games? ET Legacy runs nearly twice as fast on the 4790K. The CPU core of the 4790K clocks up to 500 MHz higher than the 4770K's. GPUs and scaling govenor are identical. No way a max. 500MHz Turbo boost can do that! This definately is worth a closer look as well!
    Last edited by saski; 14 January 2017, 12:39 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

does someone know why kaby lake is such a bluff on linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No, because all tests were done with xf86-video-modesetting and the DDX driver anyhow doesn't have that much impact on 3D perf.
        Of course, these are all 3D tests. Do I feel stupid now...

Comment

I'm not surprised. First Intel has been dragging on performance for sometime on the CPU, it should be no shock that things are slowing up on the GPU. Second; the drivers are always an issue and need to mature on any platform. I'm hoping people don't expect stellar GPU performance from AMD's Ryzen when it first ships.

In any event I still think people are adjusting to the idea that we have hit the feature size wall and you just won't get massive performance increases from one year to the next. A process shrink is required to move Intel forward unless they can dramatically improve the architecture. The architecture won't improve because Intel is distracted by the "internet of things" and other wishful thinking about what will be hot in the future.

Comment

4 K HEVC 10 Bit at 30+ Mbit/s decode tests would be much more interesting. mpv could bei added to pts, a manual test with kodi and o to show the vld would be nice. Still did not see vainfo output or VLC tests.

Comment

The results don't seem like the drop is severe enough to affect normal usage, where normal usage is defined as:
              - accelerating the desktop environment
              - working with productivity software
              - occasional image edits with GIMP
              - watching HD videos

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                I'm hoping people don't expect stellar GPU performance from AMD's Ryzen when it first ships.
                This is a joke right? Ryzen doesn't even have a GPU. We won't get one until Raven Ridge...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  4 K HEVC 10 Bit at 30+ Mbit/s decode tests would be much more interesting. mpv could bei added to pts, a manual test with kodi and o to show the vld would be nice. Still did not see vainfo output or VLC tests.
                  I doubt it will work. I don't think MPV or VLC have support for HEVC 10 bit hardware acceleration. I can confirm it doesn't work on the RX480. Second, I would hope they at least fixed the problems they had in Skylake when playing HEVC 4K video.

Comment

Skylake can not decode HEVC Main 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                      I thought marketing guys would have understood, since a decade of Apple rising and PC desktop falling, that consumers want a bit of simplicity in this world (and I'm not talking about going all Apple, which is as ludicrous but in the other side of the spectrum), but merely be reasonable with the offer. [/ranting]
                      Yeah. I think there was some value when we could choose between Pentium 133MHz and Pentium 166MHz CPUs, and there would be no doubt about which one was faster, or which one had that particular feature that you needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X