Fedora Switching Away From Intel X.Org DDX Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

IIRC, it won't affect anyone using Wayland. It maybe a slight slowdown for X users but this will become a non-issue as Wayland replaces X.
    Isn't the current Wayland implementation on Gnome, KDE and Weston still Xwayland based? Won't this have an effect?

Comment

Originally posted by galatians View Post
      The intel driver has the Tear Free option which eliminates all tearing for me. Does anyone know how to achieve the same thing with modesetting?
      Modesetting uses DRI3 by default so just use a window manager that supports DRI3+Present. Gnome-Shell should be tear free out of the box though note fullscreen windows unredirect by default bypassing that but you can use this extension to disable that: https://github.com/kazysmaster/gnome...ble-unredirect

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
        Can someone explain how is the rendering working with Wayland? What is the current back end for GTK?

Sorry for the off topic
        Gtk2/3 renders using Cairo which uses OpenGL for acceleration on Wayland. Gtk4 is moving towards rendering with OpenGL directly also.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Isn't the current Wayland implementation on Gnome, KDE and Weston still Xwayland based? Won't this have an effect?
          No, For one modern Qt and Gtk applications are native Wayland applications not "XWayland based" but also XWayland always uses glamor for acceleration.
          Last edited by TingPing; 11 January 2017, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

XWayland always uses GLAMOR for 2d, regardless of drivers, while native Wayland should use a different methodology not requiring user mode acceleration layers such as SNA or GLAMOR.

GNOME's current implement does depend on XWayland for some functionality, but that's only maintain legacy support for X applications and should not affect performance of non-legacy. Weston should not depend on XWayland unless you want to run X applications and I have no idea how KDE implements this.

Comment

The intel driver has the Tear Free option which eliminates all tearing for me. Does anyone know how to achieve the same thing with modesetting?
              I do not know, which config it changes, but KDE Plasma has a GUI setting for that (System Settings > Display > Compositor > Tearing/VSync).
              It works just fine with modesetting on an Intel Skylake laptop and also with amdgpu on a desktop with AMD DGPU for me, so I guess it's a driver-independent X-org-option?

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post
                Modesetting uses DRI3 by default
                Really:

?

See:

Comment

Originally posted by degasus View Post
                  SNA accelerates xrender, which will hopefully be deprecated soon together with xwayland. Performance critical applications should avoid X in the long term.
                  Anybody needing color management has no choice but to stick to X11, since Wayland and XWayland doesn't support Linux color management tools, and the prospect of such support being added to Wayland is distant. (Color management is something those doing serious editing of images, photo's, video or doing publishing work often require.)

Comment

Originally posted by gwgwg View Post
                    Anybody needing color management has no choice but to stick to X11, since Wayland and XWayland doesn't support Linux color management tools, and the prospect of such support being added to Wayland is distant. (Color management is something those doing serious editing of images, photo's, video or doing publishing work often require.)
                    monitors should allow gamma and brightness controll :/ why is it not standard yet?

Comment

Originally posted by gwgwg View Post
                      Does gnome-color-manager not allow this? Or is it missing something (I've never played with it that much myself)? Or are you referring to another Wayland implementation that's not GNOME?

Comment

Working...
                      X