No announcement yet.

Fedora Switching Away From Intel X.Org DDX Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain how is the rendering working with Wayland? What is the current back end for GTK?

Sorry for the off topic

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

3-4 years? You mean 6-7 years. It's 2017 not 2014, and anyone running that processor needs to upgrade, period. There might be something to be said for holding onto it if it was desktop parts (though in that case you plug in a graphics card and problem solved) but the early Atoms (this is a 2010 Atom part) were so slow that nothing really ran particularly well on them at the time, and I can't imagine how horrible they are now.
      I really meant 3-4 years. I have company mails from 2012 January when a back-then brand new POS hardware that was still in the prototype phase used PineView. Don't ask for the exact model, I won't tell. I guess Intel had to clean out the warehouse backlog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

IIRC, it won't affect anyone using Wayland. It maybe a slight slowdown for X
        You don't need to recall anything. The benchmarks are right here on this site. Basically a 7x performance hit for 2D GTK.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-DDX-May-Tests

I wouldn't exactly call that "slight". It sucks that there's no way for Wayland to utilize dedicated 2D hardware and instead has to emulated it inefficiently with 3D.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

You don't need to recall anything. The benchmarks are right here on this site. Basically a 7x performance hit for 2D GTK.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-DDX-May-Tests

I wouldn't exactly call that "slight". It sucks that there's no way for Wayland to utilize dedicated 2D hardware and instead has to emulated it inefficiently with 3D.
          Well that's the thing, providing that I'm not mistaken on how Wayland and SNA works, it won't affect Wayland. Considering Fedora is focusing on Wayland as default, there's no point in Fedora maintaining the driver.

EDIT: AFAIK in regard to how Wayland works, this "emulation" is only used by XWayland, not native applications.
          Last edited by Mystro256; 10 January 2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            Isn't SNA faster than Glamour?
            Not really. Here's gtkperf. This is skylake, a 4K monitor, latest xorg, mesa and xf86-video-intel. Nothing else running and window is maximized:

intel:

GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Tue Jan 10 16:07:59 2017

GtkEntry - time: 0.09
            GtkComboBox - time: 12.29
            GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 5.80
            GtkSpinButton - time: 0.50
            GtkProgressBar - time: 2.19
            GtkToggleButton - time: 2.85
            GtkCheckButton - time: 1.14
            GtkRadioButton - time: 2.08
            GtkTextView - Add text - time: 8.32
            GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 3.13
            GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 8.20
            GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 19.12
            GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 1.17
            GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 0.31
            ---
            Total time: 67.19

modesetting:

GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Tue Jan 10 16:05:10 2017

GtkEntry - time: 0.09
            GtkComboBox - time: 12.40
            GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 5.80
            GtkSpinButton - time: 0.48
            GtkProgressBar - time: 2.23
            GtkToggleButton - time: 2.84
            GtkCheckButton - time: 1.15
            GtkRadioButton - time: 2.07
            GtkTextView - Add text - time: 8.38
            GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 3.86
            GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 3.90
            GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 19.70
            GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 1.04
            GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 0.46
            ---
            Total time: 64.42

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
              There are 3-4 year old POS hardware with PineView and Glamor does not work with OpenGL 1.3.
              FYI: Pineview has GMA3150, that has OGL 1.5 on WIndows and 2.0 on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post

intel: (...) Total time: 67.19

modesetting: (...) Total time: 64.42
                Awesome, thanks!

degasus, well, if what is shown by synthetic benchmarks was the remaining stronghold of SNA, perhaps indeed with the latest versions (intel, xserver) this is not true anymore.

Comment

Am I missing something? The last xf86-video-modesetting release dates back to 2014-06-26 (https://www.x.org/archive/individual/driver/), that is a good six months before the last xf86-video-intel 2.99.917 released on 2014-12-21. Looking at xf86-video-modesetting's git repo, I don't see any commits in the last two years. Why is everyone switching to it, if it's, at least according to release and commit activity, a dormant, if not a dead, project???

Comment

Originally posted by chepati View Post
                    Am I missing something? The last xf86-video-modesetting release dates back to 2014-06-26 (https://www.x.org/archive/individual/driver/), that is a good six months before the last xf86-video-intel 2.99.917 released on 2014-12-21. Looking at xf86-video-modesetting's git repo, I don't see any commits in the last two years. Why is everyone switching to it, if it's, at least according to release and commit activity, a dormant, if not a dead, project???
                    Modesetting is a part of the xserver now, and has been since ~1.17 I think. Check this commit from August 2014:

Comment

The intel driver has the Tear Free option which eliminates all tearing for me. Does anyone know how to achieve the same thing with modesetting?

Comment

Working...
                      X