Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Switching Away From Intel X.Org DDX Driver

Phoronix: Fedora Switching Away From Intel X.Org DDX Driver

Fedora is the latest Linux distribution abandoning the xf86-video-intel driver in favor of the generic xf86-video-modesetting DDX driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tel-DDX-Switch

So that implies that the "SNA" driver is also dead? I now run Wayland, but I liked the SNA driver when I still ran X.

Comment

SNA accelerates xrender, which will hopefully be deprecated soon together with xwayland. Performance critical applications should avoid X in the long term.

Comment

I think that's good and bad. xf86-video-intel have only one big pro for me, that's intel-virtual-output, so I can use quite easy my Nvidia DGPU with Intel IGPU mutiscreen. I haven't seen any other alternative to do that. Of course, xf86-video-intel is quite buggy and crashy', I have daily 3 crashes due that, non reproducible with modesetting.

Once modesetting can have a proposal for that, I would finally move from xf86-video-intel, before that, is quite impossible for multimonitor. https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97186

Comment

Since I'm not using a compositor, the Intel DDX is the only driver that doesn't cause tearings on my setup (Intel Haswell).

I get terrible tearings with the modesetting one.

Comment

NOOOOOO!

why does everybody hate xf86-intel?

Comment

With xf86-video-intel I have tearing in a multi-monitor setup and graphical glitches in some apps (i.e. Chrome)... with modesettings everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                NOOOOOO!

why does everybody hate xf86-intel?
                In my case, it was because, with various apps, the screen jumped around constantly with xf86-intel (in an editor - imagine constant scrolls of a few pixels. Like so.) Fantastically annoying.

And everything works with modesetting.

Comment

Any performance implications with this switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                    Any performance implications with this switch?
                    IIRC, it won't affect anyone using Wayland. It maybe a slight slowdown for X users but this will become a non-issue as Wayland replaces X.

Comment

Working...
                    X