Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel IvyBridge/Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake OpenGL & Vulkan Benchmarks On Linux 4.10 + Mesa 13.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you can't use the intel_pstate frequency governor with the AMD chip, nevertheless I feel like pointing out that on my machine (with kernel 4.8) the "acpi-cpufreq ondemand" appears to be about 1.6x slower for pure CPU code, compared to "intel_pstate powersave".

That's for a test that runs more than 10 secs, and remains the same if the test is run repeatedly.

"acpi-cpufreq performance" is more than 2x faster, and just slightly slower than "intel_pstate performance", in my test.

("intel_pstate performance" compared to "intel_pstate powersave" is about 1.5x faster.)

The performance modes of each also have the least variation in execution times, so to me they seem best suited for performance comparisons. However I haven't tested this as throughly as would be necessary, and it may have changed for kernel 4.10 since 4.8, and also it might be specific to my hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
      ...and also it might be specific to my hardware.
      And I suppose it is: I used
      Code:
      watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo
      to monitor CPU frequency, and although the displayed frequency for one of the CPUs will quickly more than double when I run my test, it will have little effect on the execution time. I suppose the dynamic changes of "powersave" and "ondemand" are not getting through to the hardware correctly. However setting different fixed frequencies with "userspace" has the expected effect, for example.

Comment

Working...
      X