Intel Rolls Out Kaby Lake Desktop CPUs, Linux Results Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic that AMD can get back into being really competitive.
    I don’t think there is much room left for competitiveness anywhere in the x86 market. Competitiveness requires the ability for newcomers to enter the market, which is not possible for x86.

Compare ARM, with dozens of different chipmakers, and little or no barrier to newcomers: now that’s competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      I am cautiously optimistic that AMD can get back into being really competitive.
      Can we say that AMD is competitive, just not on high end and on singlethread IPC

And also remember, AMD fastest CPU todays are still just 32 nm devices... where was i year Intel producing CPUs on that node? Something like 7 years ago I think that even if AMD screwed up something with Zen it will still be fine just by nm switch, let alone architectural changes
      Last edited by dungeon; 04 January 2017, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

I don’t think there is much room left for competitiveness anywhere in the x86 market. Competitiveness requires the ability for newcomers to enter the market, which is not possible for x86.

Compare ARM, with dozens of different chipmakers, and little or no barrier to newcomers: now that’s competitive.
        He, he, x86 reminds me on these two friends Don Inside and Sancho Outside

Last edited by dungeon; 04 January 2017, 03:12 AM.

Comment

AMD wants to sell 8 core CPUs first, that is not the target for pure gamers. If they sell Ryzen maybe 30-50% cheaper than i7-6900K then they can target certainly some gamers but mainly users with demand of more cores. As soon as AMD sells the quad cores they have to run at much higher clocks to win cpu limited gaming benchmarks. It will be interesting if that happens or if the CPUs are just sold because they are cheaper and fast "enough". You can only get the highest price for really fast CPUs. Maybe some dislike Intel and will go for AMD anyway, but to win the main market huge OEMs have to sell it. Kaby Lake on the other hand has funnyly the best marketing for 4k video (Netflix) users right now as AMD and Nvidia are too stupid to write correct drivers for their current chips - even for Win 10! The Kaby Lake upgrade does not matter at all if you have got an Intel CPU from Haswell or newer already and use a dedicated GPU. Even if your CPU is even older - if you don't want to buy the most expensive CPUs the speed gain may not be that impressive. You can however combine new NVME ssd with new boards, those are nice to have too.

Comment

Ars Technica is not impressed:

For yet another year, high-end desktop CPU performance remains at a
            standstill. With low-power laptops and all-in-ones continuing to
            outsell desktops—and with high-end workloads like video editing, 3D
            animation, and machine learning increasingly being offloaded to
            GPUs—perhaps it was inevitable that Intel would stop caring so much
            about its high-end consumer CPUs. Or maybe Intel's struggles with
            the 14nm process forced its hand, and the last few years of
            disappointing performance improvements are down to physics rather
            than passivity.
            Yes, but what a place to be stuck! I started out at 7.14 MHz, so it all seems incredible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
              When they will be available in stores? I'm thinking of building a desktop that could handle my virtualisation needs for studying and I wonder should I get i7-6700k, wait for i7-7700k or wait for Ryzen.
              You should wait for Ryzen, because even if you get an Intel it will be cheaper.
              Unless you're really pressed to get a new computer...

Comment

I've actually had good results with Bulldozer, as video editing is one of the few things it was really good for. One test showed that in LibX264 it was over 20% faster than the Phenom II x6 6-core. It was an even bigger difference in Kdenlive between Phenom II X4 at 3.7GHZ and Bulldozer at 4.4GHZ, both overclocked. I'm keeping Bulldozer because it doesn't have the PSP (Platform Security processor) about which we don't know enough to judge how severe a privacy and security hazard it may be,

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post

Yes, but what a place to be stuck! I started out at 7.14 MHz, so it all seems incredible to me.
                  Sure, but why would you buy a new PC if it’s no improvement on the one you’ve already got?

Do you see why most PC vendors are in trouble right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    I've actually had good results with Bulldozer, as video editing is one of the few things it was really good for. One test showed that in LibX264 it was over 20% faster than the Phenom II x6 6-core. It was an even bigger difference in Kdenlive between Phenom II X4 at 3.7GHZ and Bulldozer at 4.4GHZ, both overclocked. I'm keeping Bulldozer because it doesn't have the PSP (Platform Security processor) about which we don't know enough to judge how severe a privacy and security hazard it may be,
                    x2, bought my Opteron 4386 for the same reason back in 2012, and still use it daily. The price / performance ratio of the newer intel chips simply isn't compelling enough. The Zen workstation chips in 2H 2017 may convince me to make a purchase, but I'll still hold onto my Piledriver workstation (even if as a second workstation), for the PSP reasons you mention.
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 04 January 2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

and what we will see in a few years time is a big market consolidation phase that will determine the winners and we will be left again with a couple of big players. my guess will be Qualcomm and someone making a lot of non custom/stock as a rock cores

Comment

Working...
                      X