Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rolls Out Kaby Lake Desktop CPUs, Linux Results Later

Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out Kaby Lake Desktop CPUs, Linux Results Later

Today Intel officially unveiled their 7th Generation "Kaby Lake" desktop CPU line-up at CES...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When they will be available in stores? I'm thinking of building a desktop that could handle my virtualisation needs for studying and I wonder should I get i7-6700k, wait for i7-7700k or wait for Ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
      When they will be available in stores? I'm thinking of building a desktop that could handle my virtualisation needs for studying and I wonder should I get i7-6700k, wait for i7-7700k or wait for Ryzen.
      So far haven't seen any definitive date mentioned anywhere I checked for when they should be available... But still checking around as anxious to run some Linux benchmarks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Don't bother buying an i7, Michael. The results will be boring, so I think it'd be a waste of your finite funding. If Intel doesn't supply a review sample and you insist on reviewing Kaby Lake, get an i3, or an i5 at the highest. Save yourself a couple grand.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Don't bother buying an i7, Michael. The results will be boring, so I think it'd be a waste of your finite funding. If Intel doesn't supply a review sample and you insist on reviewing Kaby Lake, get an i3, or an i5 at the highest. Save yourself a couple grand.
          How is it become 'a couple grand'? But may end up buying a 7600K model. since I have that in Skylake for comparison, or 7500, but yeah all depends what the pricing becomes and which models appear in stock first... Of course, hoping new Intel PR person finally pulls through....
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            How is it become 'a couple grand'? But may end up buying a 7600K model. since I have that in Skylake for comparison, or 7500, but yeah all depends what the pricing becomes and which models appear in stock first... Of course, hoping new Intel PR person finally pulls through....
            Haha whoops I meant "yard" ($100).

If you look at performance-per-core or performance-per-clock, the cheaper models should still be a good comparison. If you look at benchmarks from other websites, the results of Kaby Lake are very boring. Personally, I'd say save yourself the money and just use math to scale the results of cheaper models.

I don't think anybody here is going to be disappointed in not seeing i7 test results, but, I think we're all interested in results from Kaby Lake to some degree (particularly the IGP).

Comment

Looks like I should end up getting a sample next week...
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
                Definitely wait for Ryzen. It will be much, much more powerful and prices will finally lower. Intel will have to move their extreme platform to human prices, hopefully.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Definitely wait for Ryzen. It will be much, much more powerful and prices will finally lower. Intel will have to move their extreme platform to human prices, hopefully.
                  Any evidence that Ryzen is "much much" more powerful than an older Intel part? Where has AMD posted the official price list for these Ryzen parts either? Or are you just blindly believing anything that AMD marketing tells you months in advance of a real chip actually launching. You know, just like you did when Bulldozer "launched".

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

We don't know exactly how powerful Ryzen will be. But for sure, it's about time they gave Intel a run for their money - based on Anandtech's review the 7700k isn't even too much of an upgrade over the 2600k, depending on usage ofcourse.

edit: although the gaming benchmarks listed there aren't too relevant as gaming is kind of GPU-bound anyway. Yet, for the other benchmarks, the increase in performance over, say, the 6700k is underwhelming.
                    Last edited by lvlark; 03 January 2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X