Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

what do you mean by avx frecuency?
    If AVX code is called, older Core CPU's run at a reduced frequency. AVX puts too much load on the processor that they would fry otherwise. Those frequencies are then called AVX Base frequency or AVX Turbo frequencies.
    I feel like Intel sort of hides this, as one cannot find this on normal spec sheets. Also Anandtech or Arstechnica or similar reviews don't feature this. On the other hand it's usually not relevant for consumers, who don't make much use of AVX. In scientific computing however AVX is quite important.

But one can read about it in some of Intels white papers:

or

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

There is new feature or BIOS option called AVX Offset to tune for overclockers it is, as AVX instructions are known to be power hungry and also known to hurt stability when overclocked. Basically with that feature user can do somewhat more main overclock, while reducing AVX frequency to keep overclock stable or say... keep main as it is but instead increase just AVX if you run software which rely on it, etc...

But any OC is always really sort of paperware, maybe you can do it maybe you will not, as beside knowledge about it user also need good sample and luck as always no guarantees there
      thats correct, but not what I meant. I meant the reduced base or turbo frequency when AVX code is called. This is lower then the "normal" base or turbo frequency

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

and what we will see in a few years time is a big market consolidation phase that will determine the winners...
        That only happens after the market stops growing. That has happened with x86; it hasn’t happened yet with ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
          When they will be available in stores?
          Sales of Kaby Lake CPUs began yesterday, per agreement with Intel. All Intel authorized distributors are now selling them.

Comment

Working...
          X