Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Rolls Out Kaby Lake Desktop CPUs, Linux Results Later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Rolls Out Kaby Lake Desktop CPUs, Linux Results Later

    Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out Kaby Lake Desktop CPUs, Linux Results Later

    Today Intel officially unveiled their 7th Generation "Kaby Lake" desktop CPU line-up at CES...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p-CPUs-Rollout

  • #2
    When they will be available in stores? I'm thinking of building a desktop that could handle my virtualisation needs for studying and I wonder should I get i7-6700k, wait for i7-7700k or wait for Ryzen.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by killyou View Post
      When they will be available in stores? I'm thinking of building a desktop that could handle my virtualisation needs for studying and I wonder should I get i7-6700k, wait for i7-7700k or wait for Ryzen.
      So far haven't seen any definitive date mentioned anywhere I checked for when they should be available... But still checking around as anxious to run some Linux benchmarks.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't bother buying an i7, Michael. The results will be boring, so I think it'd be a waste of your finite funding. If Intel doesn't supply a review sample and you insist on reviewing Kaby Lake, get an i3, or an i5 at the highest. Save yourself a couple grand.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Don't bother buying an i7, Michael. The results will be boring, so I think it'd be a waste of your finite funding. If Intel doesn't supply a review sample and you insist on reviewing Kaby Lake, get an i3, or an i5 at the highest. Save yourself a couple grand.
          How is it become 'a couple grand'? But may end up buying a 7600K model. since I have that in Skylake for comparison, or 7500, but yeah all depends what the pricing becomes and which models appear in stock first... Of course, hoping new Intel PR person finally pulls through....
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Michael View Post
            How is it become 'a couple grand'? But may end up buying a 7600K model. since I have that in Skylake for comparison, or 7500, but yeah all depends what the pricing becomes and which models appear in stock first... Of course, hoping new Intel PR person finally pulls through....
            Haha whoops I meant "yard" ($100).

            If you look at performance-per-core or performance-per-clock, the cheaper models should still be a good comparison. If you look at benchmarks from other websites, the results of Kaby Lake are very boring. Personally, I'd say save yourself the money and just use math to scale the results of cheaper models.

            I don't think anybody here is going to be disappointed in not seeing i7 test results, but, I think we're all interested in results from Kaby Lake to some degree (particularly the IGP).

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks like I should end up getting a sample next week...
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by killyou View Post
                When they will be available in stores? I'm thinking of building a desktop that could handle my virtualisation needs for studying and I wonder should I get i7-6700k, wait for i7-7700k or wait for Ryzen.
                Definitely wait for Ryzen. It will be much, much more powerful and prices will finally lower. Intel will have to move their extreme platform to human prices, hopefully.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

                  Definitely wait for Ryzen. It will be much, much more powerful and prices will finally lower. Intel will have to move their extreme platform to human prices, hopefully.
                  Any evidence that Ryzen is "much much" more powerful than an older Intel part? Where has AMD posted the official price list for these Ryzen parts either? Or are you just blindly believing anything that AMD marketing tells you months in advance of a real chip actually launching. You know, just like you did when Bulldozer "launched".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

                    Definitely wait for Ryzen. It will be much, much more powerful and prices will finally lower. Intel will have to move their extreme platform to human prices, hopefully.
                    We don't know exactly how powerful Ryzen will be. But for sure, it's about time they gave Intel a run for their money - based on Anandtech's review the 7700k isn't even too much of an upgrade over the 2600k, depending on usage ofcourse.

                    edit: although the gaming benchmarks listed there aren't too relevant as gaming is kind of GPU-bound anyway. Yet, for the other benchmarks, the increase in performance over, say, the 6700k is underwhelming.
                    Last edited by lvlark; 01-03-2017, 01:28 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X