No announcement yet.

Running The Intel NUC6i7KYK On Linux With Skylake Iris Pro Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait for next-gen APU, would be a really neat comparison between them, the battle of iGPU

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      Too slow for gaming, too powerful and expensive for HTPC... what is the real use scenario for this?
      "Yeah, yeah, but your engineers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." - me, on the Skull Canyon NUC. Seriously though, it has no usage scenario other than being a compact enthusiast PC. In reality, it's not well designed and the hardware/software is very very wonky, so it isn't worth the overly high expense of putting a build together, since it really only demands the highest costing config you can buy today. Many buyers have ended up with bricks after using it for a few weeks or months, based on what I've read on the official NUC forums and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Too slow for gaming, too powerful and expensive for HTPC... what is the real use scenario for this?
        Yes... too slow for high end recent gaming on Windows, very true. Not everyone here needs the high end Windows gaming at very high resolutions. Oh.. and how small is your computer? How much power does it consume? etc, etc..

My problem is that we do need better motherboards with this chip. So that we can build fairly small systems that are larger than ITX (e.g. what many call SFF using mATX-ish boards) so we can have PCIe slots. Just my opinion. With such a beast, you could have a nice all-in-one computer that isn't a small refrigerator in size.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

"Yeah, yeah, but your engineers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." - me, on the Skull Canyon NUC. Seriously though, it has no usage scenario other than being a compact enthusiast PC. In reality, it's not well designed and the hardware/software is very very wonky, so it isn't worth the overly high expense of putting a build together, since it really only demands the highest costing config you can buy today. Many buyers have ended up with bricks after using it for a few weeks or months, based on what I've read on the official NUC forums and elsewhere.
          A low powered server. This is exactly the type of hardware I use for remote computing/web service/database so I can run it 24/7 on a local network or connected to internet. Add whatever you want as a service, free your mind.

Why can't people realize that their needs are not the business needs...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            A low powered server. This is exactly the type of hardware I use for remote computing/web service/database so I can run it 24/7 on a local network or connected to internet. Add whatever you want as a service, free your mind.
            FYI: This thing is clearly aimed at the high-end mediacenter/console-like gaming.

You can use it as you wish, but devices designed as servers don't usually come with a skull etched on the case.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              FYI: This thing is clearly aimed at the high-end mediacenter/console-like gaming.

You can use it as you wish, but devices designed as servers don't usually come with a skull etched on the case.
              Well, in package you get another plate without skull

It is not aimed as server but is cool small device i like it... well only problem might be its price
              Last edited by dungeon; 31 December 2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Would be interesting to benchmark an external GPU through thunderbolt with this device.

Comment

Originally posted by yuumei View Post
                  Would be interesting to benchmark an external GPU through thunderbolt with this device.
                  Unfortunately I have no Thunderbolt GPU enclosure.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately I have no Thunderbolt GPU enclosure.
                    That is a good point. Every one I have seen is at least £300. It's incredible. I'm also not sure if everything is there for it to work. There is thunderbolt support in the kernel, but I'm not sure if it would work with Intels controller. I think the interface to the GPU would be fine because it's basically a PCI bus.

Comment

Were you able to get proper resolution with the native HDMI output? I'm using the HDMI output to an ASUS VE228H monitor and I'm getting a "Unknown Monitor" under Settings>Display and the resolution is low (1280 x 768 dpi). Using the HWE enablement stack and the latest Intel Driver stack for 16.04.2 LTS.

Comment

Working...
                      X