Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel May Finally Enable Framebuffer Compression By Default For Skylake+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel May Finally Enable Framebuffer Compression By Default For Skylake+

    Phoronix: Intel May Finally Enable Framebuffer Compression By Default For Skylake+

    Intel developers are weighing again the possibility of enabling frame-buffer compression (FBC) support by default for Skylake graphics hardware and newer...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ault-Patch-SKL

  • #2
    I heard this will make Chromium-BSU run at 7 fps instead of 6.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eydee View Post
      I heard this will make Chromium-BSU run at 7 fps instead of 6.
      You are our sunshine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Y'know what's annoying? Intel will support in-demand features on hardware that hasn't even been released, yet they'll ignore hardware that a huge percentage of their customers actively use.

        Since Intel is very caught-up with Mesa, it seems Skylake/Broadwell will likely end up being the oldest GPUs that have a chance of reaching feature completion. They seem pretty negligent of Haswell and older. Perhaps this is a way to force some people to upgrade. Doesn't seem like a good tactic, especially with Ryzen around the corner.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 12-23-2016, 03:40 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by eydee View Post
          I heard this will make Chromium-BSU run at 7 fps instead of 6.
          This really sums up the Linux experience in a nutshell. Though, hey it's progress. :|

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Y'know what's annoying? Intel will support in-demand features on hardware that hasn't even been released, yet they'll ignore hardware that a huge percentage of their customers actively use.

            Since Intel is very caught-up with Mesa, it seems Skylake/Broadwell will likely end up being the oldest GPUs that have a chance of reaching feature completion. They seem pretty negligent of Haswell and older. Perhaps this is a way to force some people to upgrade. Doesn't seem like a good tactic, especially with Ryzen around the corner.
            This comment is a little humorous to read, given the current state of the fp64 haswell patches on the mailing list in the last week.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 12-23-2016, 09:21 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post

              This really sums up the Linux experience in a nutshell. Though, hey it's progress. :|
              Eh. Even Ivy Bridge can play Chromium BSU @ 50 fps, 2560x1440..

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow, careful Intel, don't wanna do anything good for people now, do we? Better rethink doing anything beneficial

                Comment


                • #9
                  Two years ago, this was supposed to work on Intel's first generation HD, "Ironlake" hardware and newer. Now they're only announcing support for the fifth generation HD that most people don't even own yet and won't be common for a long time. Is there any chance that Intel or the community will fix the issues with older HD hardware? Or is there some technical issue preventing it from working on them?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X