Haswell OpenGL 4.0 / FP64 Support In Mesa Might Finally Be Close To Merging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haswell OpenGL 4.0 / FP64 Support In Mesa Might Finally Be Close To Merging

Phoronix: Haswell OpenGL 4.0 / FP64 Support In Mesa Might Finally Be Close To Merging

It appears that ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 for Intel Haswell graphics hardware might finally be merged soon into Mesa and thereby exposing OpenGL 4.0 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about Ivy Bridge?

Comment

Igalia is waiting to send patches for Ivybridge until the Haswell support lands. It should be a much smaller series.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

it can reach OpenGL ~4.1
        Completing the 64 bit stuff would put Haswell on 4.5 and Ivy bridge on 4.2.

Is there any possibility of Ivy Bridge getting higher than 4.2?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

There always is the possibility of Ivy Bridge getting support for certain extensions As happened with the r300 driver.

Comment

even llvmpipe can get any version. but you could be upset by performance

Comment

If I remember correctly, an Intel Dev responded to this question (I asked some months ago in this forum) that their plan is that Ivy Bridge will also get GL_ARB_stencil_texturing, so OpenGL 4.3 it would be...

Comment

I believe Ivy Bridge is capable of 4.3 but where is it? I don't want to have to buy new stuff every year because drivers only supports the latest hardware

Comment

Yes, it will likely happen eventually, but not anytime soon.

It needs:
                  ARB_stencil_texturing for 4.3
                  texture_stencil8 for 4.4
                  query_buffer_object for 4.4
                  Then I suppose it would have to be validated by Khronos, which perhaps wouldn't be a high priority, so even if it gets all the extensions I suppose it could still be stuck at 4.3 instead of 4.5 by default.

All of those should be possible on Ivybridge, but none are natively supported by the hardware meaning the driver developers will have to do nasty and complicated hacks to get them running properly. They're all potentially possible to do, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X