No announcement yet.

Intel Has More DRM Feature Code Ready For Linux 4.10, GVT Going Mainline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably best to compare different levels of virtualization on the gpu with the counterparts on the cpu, just as a rough idea.

virgl + llvmpipe on the host = qemu with software emulation for different architecture between host and emulated guest. Dead slow.
    virgl + hw gl driver on the host = qemu, but with a magic JIT that translate the emulated guest's instructions into hw instructions for the host. Not sure this exists as open-source. The JIT tends to seriously hurt compared to native performance.
    gvt = paravirtualization like Xen, guest code from userspace runs like native, but there's quite a bit of glue and overhead involved still in both host and guest kernel, but performance tends to be nice.
    sr-iov (nvidia has that in hw afaik) = hardware virtualization, guest kernel talks directly to the gpu with only very rare exceptions that need special handling in the host. think kvm. Upside is mostly better isolation and less need for adjustements in the guest kernel (it still needs some changes to the gpu driver usually, but much more minor compared to something like gvt).

Comment

I think it's actually AMD that has SR-IOV in hardware.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I think it's actually AMD that has SR-IOV in hardware.
        Please link to the source code for the driver support, or it didn't happen.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I don't get the connection between "driver source code" and "SR-IOV in hardware" but OK...

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...t=grep&q=sriov

The SR-IOV code for Linux is relatively recent and changes are just starting to go public now... there's quite a bit more to come.

Can I assume you are not asking about Windows source code (which is not public) ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I don't get the connection between "driver source code" and "SR-IOV in hardware" but OK...

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...t=grep&q=sriov

The SR-IOV code for Linux is relatively recent and changes are just starting to go public now... there's quite a bit more to come.

Can I assume you are not asking about Windows source code (which is not public) ?
            will this allow me to have a windows VM on my open source graphics stack that has native GPU? (and that I can use to play DirectX games natively?) because having to reboot to play games is somewhat annoying

Comment

Working...
            X