Intel Has More DRM Feature Code Ready For Linux 4.10, GVT Going Mainline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Has More DRM Feature Code Ready For Linux 4.10, GVT Going Mainline

Phoronix: Intel Has More DRM Feature Code Ready For Linux 4.10, GVT Going Mainline

Intel had already sent in two feature pull requests of new features/changes improvements to their DRM driver for Linux 4.10 (pull requests one and two) while now another feature pull has been submitted and there's also expected to be a last-minute fourth pull request...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the difference between GVT and Virgil3d?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      As far as I can tell GVT is intel specific and allows gpu passtrough which is stated to be out of scope on the virgil3d homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by sirblackheart View Post
        allows gpu passtrough which is stated to be out of scope on the virgil3d homepage.
        "multiple VMs to the same GPU" doesn't sound like gpu passtrough.
        ## VGA ##

Comment

It's virtual passthrough So while it still needs GPU-specific support at the VM host side it exposes a regular iGPU to the guest. The guest is using the regular Intel drivers that access the hardware "directly" and is unaware that it's sharing the GPU with other VMs. At least in theory.

I've been waiting for this to become mainstream for a couple of years already. I hope it doesn't take as long as Wayland because I really want to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by https://01.org/igvt-g
            • Intel® Graphics Virtualization Technology –d (Intel® GVT –d): vDGA: virtual dedicated graphics acceleration (one VM to one physical GPU)
            • Intel® Graphics Virtualization Technology –s (Intel® GVT -s): vSGA: virtual shared graphics acceleration (multiple VMs to one physical GPU)
            • Intel® Graphics Virtualization Technology –g (Intel® GVT -g): vGPU: virtual graphics processing unit (multiple VMs to one physical GPU)
            Originally posted by https://01.org/sites/default/files/downloads/igvt-g/gvtflyer.pdf
            In response to this challenge, graphics virtualization techniques have evolved to allow a media-optimized workload to run on top of a virtualized environment, such as virtualizing the graphics processor for concurrent use to provide direct, dedicated access to a GPU for a single virtualized workload, or providing a pass-through for direct, shared access to the GPU for a number of virtualized workloads.
            Sounds like a kind of pass-trough to me.

Comment

gvt is for intel gpus, virgil is for opengl gpus

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

It's virtual passthrough So while it still needs GPU-specific support at the VM host side it exposes a regular iGPU to the guest. The guest is using the regular Intel drivers that access the hardware "directly" and is unaware that it's sharing the GPU with other VMs. At least in theory.

I've been waiting for this to become mainstream for a couple of years already. I hope it doesn't take as long as Wayland because I really want to use it.
                Wow, this is awesome. Does it work when sharing the same GPU between the host and the guests?
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Wow, this is awesome. Does it work when sharing the same GPU between the host and the guests?
                  yes, one igpu for a lot of vm and host

Comment

GVT-g is like a GPU passthrough: original GPU controller and sharing between Host and VM (up to 3 for Haswell, more for newers), about 85% max performance when one machine uses the GPU and no graphics-heavy use for the others.

Comment

Working...
                    X